Bullet choice

Jack300WSM

BTSP Gameking type bullet or Berger Hunting VLD's? Typical shots on whitetail within 400yds at around 3000fps at the muzzle. I'm sure this will get mixed opinions. I've never used the old school Gameking but people swear by them and I have used Berger Hunting VLDs with mixed results which were devastating but on a couple deer no blood trail which concerned me. But still dead within 100yds.

Try the Gameking and compare the accuracy to your Bergers. Kick it up a notch and try the Tipped Gameking. I'm shooting the Tipped Match King in a safe queen with great accuracy, perhaps the TGK will perform well. There's the Sierra Tipped GameChanger as well. You didn't mention what cartridge.

BTSP Gameking type bullet or Berger Hunting VLD's? Typical shots on whitetail within 400yds at around 3000fps at the muzzle. I'm sure this will get mixed opinions. I've never used the old school Gameking but people swear by them and I have used Berger Hunting VLDs with mixed results which were devastating but on a couple deer no blood trail which concerned me. But still dead within 100yds.
SGK's tend to fall apart with high velocity impacts. My preferred bullet remains the Peregrine Bullets' made in S. Africa, Accubond/Accubond LR or the ever dependable Hornady interbond.

You don't mention caliber or bullet weight. For any cartridge I would use on a deer. No question the Gameking, or other bullet that shoots well in your rifle. I am not a booger fan for shooting animals I would want to eat. That being said...its a deer they are not super hard to kill just a heavier for caliber bullet of any construction will work

Assuming that you will have approximately 2000 fps remaining velocity @ your 400 yards......go mono and you'll go back! memtb