Building off of a savage action

I have several 'turds' as some others have called them ... as well as some Remington 700's. I will say this - the stagger feed Savage actions I have are in fact not as smooth as the centerfeeds. And, the more recent 700's are (in general) not as smooth as my centerfed Savages. So perhaps the Tikka bigots have more experience with staggerfed models than with centerfed. I'm quite certain they have more experience with Tikka's than do I. Regardless, I would love to spend an afternoon at a 1000 yard range with my 'turds' and the rifles of the Savage Haters' choosing for a day of good natured fun and comparison of the quality of the outcome of the equipment utilized for such a day of fun ;)

I just received a Tikka T-3 lite in 243 win. Paid $435, haven't shot it yet but it cycles smoother than most customs I've felt, 60* bolt throw,dm mag, adjustable trigger, and a very light bolt lift similar to a custom action. I've yet to put a round through it but I already like it a lot.

I'll take one of these turds any day. Less than 50 rounds down the tube with virgin brass. Middle of the range load 10 thousands off of the lands. On a bone stock $219 rifle.....

Attachments

• IMG_20171201_153215193-1000x750.jpg
    IMG_20171201_153215193-1000x750.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 224
Yes it was just an idea. They sell them so I was wondering if people actually go that route and how good they turn out.

As you can see, there's a few of us that believes and has real world experience success with the turbo turd action. Good things starts with just an idea. Go for it and prove the naysayers.

As you can see, there's a few of us that believes and has real world experience success with the turbo turd action. Good things starts with just an idea. Go for it and prove the naysayers.

My dad used to think savages were turds. He thought I was crazy to build on one. After I got mine all together and started shooting it, not even a year later he built on the turbo turd and built a 22-250 AI lol

I must say they are very impressive to work with...kind of like my old 1968 Camero...tons of cool parts out the for the DIY'er and really have something special when you get done.

I'm certainly no Savage expert, but I replaced the bolt body on mine without reading any directions...which actually help me learn something. The firing pin spring is really tight on factory Savage rifles causing the hard bolt lift.

Which I had on my donor action, but after I adjusted the firing pin length so I could get the bolt to work right again...it is smooth as butter on the lift without having to put a bolt lift kit in.

So if you lengthen the firing slightly, the bolt lifts much much easier.

if it makes a guy feel like hes being thrifty putting a $900 barrel on a rough, sloppy and ugly savage then go for it. but hes be better off with a cheap prefit like a mcgowan and hope for the best.. if its just as good how come you dont see them at matches? Does a tight concentric action mean nothing? those idiot PRS shooters are wasting their money apparently.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.