Building Off a Savage Axis Action?

CaptnC

Looks like the pawn shop had a sale and all the long actions were snatched up. They do have a short acton Savage and they have a Axis that is dirt cheap...

I'd bet I can fit the Axis action in a Choate stock with some work and a little Accu-gel.

The Axis is currently chambered in 30-06 so my idea of build a 6.5-06 will still work...can even back off and do it in 6.5x55...that would be my 2nd choice.

Need some quick info on the Axis line of actions!

I pulled the trigger on it already $200.00 out the door for the complete rifle. My little brain as been going a million miles an hour...I have a short action Choate stock on the way...I'm going to see just how hard it would be to fit it in one of those stocks.

The thread cut is a little different for prefit barrels but I'm told by a guy at EA Brown that it can be done still...then I got to thinking about the mag that feeds this action..

Thanks for the link...the next to last question was one I wanted an answer to...I know I want to have the standard recoil lug on mine...so there goes some $$$$$ for that.

I did measure the holes and it is between the LA and SA...

I had some thoughts to cut down someones BM to fit, but my alumnum welding skills might melt a once perfectly made BM...still need to thing about this one. I know i'm going to buy BM for the 264wm...see if something is possible.

I like the stocks made by Sharp Shooter, I had looked at them earlier today.

The action looks similar to the guns used on the show "The Wild West" (I thinks the name) hunting show which look like the ONE Bighorn action I have seen an for all I know the BigHorn was made by someone who let them hang their name on it. I also think it is very close to the Savage target action, which I know nothing about...just what I've heard.

WOW! Looks like i really bought a turd in this one...I sold the scope and rings as I walked out the door so I doubt I can return it.

So I guess I will go forward with a build off this action.

So here is the plan...

I know a guy who inherited a gun shop from a friend, he has offered me some muzzle breaks and other stuff in the past so he might like a chance to do this to see how it turns out.

So the first thing is to cut back the front of the receiver so it will take a normal recoil lug.

New trigger for sure as this one has a ton creep and must be around a 5lb pull.

I have a old Savage barrel that I can try to fit. I think E A Brown laps the threads, at least that is the way the guy made it sound. They only charge $30 to fit the barrel to the Axis receiver so it can't take much work.

Sharp Shooter stock and CDI bottom metal which would be needed with a 110 action.

In summary I will need to do about the same things as you would a 110 action with the exception no composite stock and the machine work. I found a chassis from MDI, but I'm not big on chassis.

I will start a thread when I start this project...win or lose!

I talked to my friend and he said it would be a pretty simple job...so in about a month we plan to get together to true up and shorten the receiver. He is also going to show me how to thread a barrel for a muzzle brake.

So the wheels are in motion...more to come!

You can build on the Axis pretty easy, I built a straight 284 win off one a couple of years ago. The Axis action use standard small shank profit barrels. I sent the action to Fred at Sharp Shooter Supply to have the action trued to accept a precision ground full recoil lug ($75 for him to do it). I also used one of his Pro Hunter stocks. The rifle turned out great and shoots really well
513FEAEB-BB10-475B-8F84-7487C6A67CF1.jpeg
8A3B8D33-3006-43C6-903D-B288B558A2B0.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.