Building off of a savage action

Korhil78

So here it is, I bought this savage rifle from cabelas for $219 after the sale and $100 rebate. It's in 6.5 Creedmoor. My idea was to get the action and put a prefit proof research barrel on it and a carbon lightweight stock on it for a super light weight coues deer, mule deer and antelope rifle. Now keep in mind, I have never owned a savage rifle or messed with a savage action. All my customs I have built off of a custom Remington clone or Remington action. I'm thinking of maybe making this into a 6mm Creedmoor and shoot 108 Gr bullets out of it.

The big question is, is it worth it to put all of this money into a savage action? My buddy has the tools to put the barrel on.

I built on a savage. It's VERY accurate. Mine wears a criterion. Clays at 1k are not an issue. I'm shot a a few 3 shot groups in the .1s. My 2 tightest have been .076 moa and .096 moa. On average though 5 shot groups are .25-.3
not saying they cant be accurate, but the feel, fit and finish leave much to be desired...

I put a 22-250 AI together on a Savage 10 action with an X-Caliber Savage Varmint pre-fit. I've definitely been pleased with the results. The action isn't the smoothest, but the rifle shoots and that's what I was looking for!

I have bought 2 of these rifles chambered in 204R. One I put a stainless select match Shilen barrel chambered in 20 Tactical and Bell and Carlson stock. I love that rifle and it shoots very well. The other I put the same stock on and left everything else as it was. It too shoots well. They both have DNZ mounts which I really like. My point is they are a good action and affordable but I don't know if I would put a $900 barrel on it and the spendy stock as well. I am sure it would work though. But hey it's your $$$ spend it on what you want!

OP now has the action for $219. Not worth trading for a Tikka or Rem turd at this point. Plus the Savage turd is most likely the most accurate turd of them all.

Don't see the OP as going cheap. It's actually being frugal. Proof probably sells a lot of pre-fits or they would not be offering them. I'd say they can cut a chamber as good as anybody.

Last edited:
Here is my 20T with my handloads and I'd only been reloading about 3 months at this point. Believe it or not that's 5 shots @ 100y.

1921.jpg

1920.jpg

well the OP wasnt wanting to go cheap... hes talking about putting a proof on a savage action...so to that I was he is insane and throwing money at a turd

Define "turd". I have a 243AI build on a Savage with a Shilen prefit barrel heavy sporter contour and Rifle Basix trigger. It shoots well enough to draw positive comments from national class shooters at a 1000yd match. In fact I have yet to build a Savage with a quality prefit barrel that doesn't shoot 1/3 MOA with properly tuned loads.

What is turd about that? It's all personal opinion, but turd to me is an inaccurate or inconsistent rifle, or one that does not function properly. I have many Savages and I only have one action that I have had issues with.

Yes, my 338 Edge built on a Stiller Predator with a Remage prefit is superior. But it also cost 3X as much to build, even without a smith involved in either build.

And...if you're going to build from factory...the new Remingtons aren't like the old ones.

Now to the OP. Does Proof Research sell their barrels as Savage prefits? If they don't and a smith is involved, you may want to consider a custom action as you're going to be at another price point already.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.