Building off of a savage action

I say do it. I'm "poor" compared to some of these guys and therefore frugal. I have 6.5 Creedmoor with a green mountain blank that shoots awesome for less than $1200. It's got cheap glass, a GRS stock, and the GM barrel. I cannot afford $2000 scopes, $400 mounts, $1100 stocks nor $1200 bare actions. So savage prefits or Remage setups are for me. I'm looking for affordable accuracy not the smoothest action possible that tend to run $1000 +. I doubt with the time I have available that I can even shoot the difference between my sub $1500 savage and a $4500 custom. I want a full up custom rifle but it's just not in the cards for me right now.

I think stockys stocks runs combo specials of some kind for Proof barrels and stocks.

OP now has the action for $219. Not worth trading for a Tikka or Rem turd at this point. Plus the Savage turd is most likely the most accurate turd of them all.

Don't see the OP as going cheap. It's actually being frugal. Proof probably sells a lot of pre-fits or they would not be offering them. I'd say they can cut a chamber as good as anybody.

HELLYEAH!

Korhil78, you've got the right mindset. I've got my expensive full custom builds and my semi customs as well. I have a few savages. One 6.5x47 has a bartlien barrel on it and consistently shoots in the ones and 2s with a $200 choate stock and I'm pretty sure the action was never blueprinted. If done properly your rifle will shoot as well a custom but at a 1/3rd of the price, and if it came with an accu trigger you just saved another $200. Not a big deal on a build in this price range but some weaknesses with the savage like most factory rifles will be heavy bolt lift which is more apparent the lighter your rifle is. Flimsy factory stock( you might be able to stiffen it up yourself), and some savages cycle smoother than others but feed reliably either way. And your pretty much set up for a switch barrel rifle if you desired which only puts you out $300-500 for another barrel but gives you 2 rifles basically.

Good Horses
By Les Voth

When I was wee bitty baby boy I went to horse shows all summer with my dad - and our horses. One day at Crystal City this guy comes riding into the fairgrounds in his work clothes. His horse was not show horse pretty.

This young guy had a horse he had raised himself and worked cattle with every day. It was not yet high stepping, hand-fed, shampooed mane and tail braided baby. This horse was tall, narrow, lean and had a head that came offa his daddy two years after he died.

That kid rode that dirty-saddled oversized cayuse straight into the show ring. He had arrived just in time for a performance class.

Well, all them pretty ponies with their show gear went through their pretty paces. Some of them did not too bad. Then the kid showed the entire audience what it takes to be a performance cattle working horse. I'll never forget that.

The bond between that kid and his horse was something I've only seen a couple of times since. They LOVED each other. They TRUSTED each other. They WORKED as a flawless team. It was an HONOR to watch that unforgettable demonstration.

While he was working his horse I heard the conversation around me from the locals. They were saying:
He raised that horse.
He ain't gonna place.
The judge don't like him.
He rode 12 miles to get to the show.
That kid's gonna be mad when he finds out . . .

It was obvious to the entire crowd that the kid had the best horse.

When the judging started the judge never even looked at the kid. He placed them all in a row, in the order he wanted them, but totally ignored the kid like he hadn't even existed.

The kid saw what was happening. Just before the ribbons were awarded he left the arena and the fairgrounds without a backwards look. Everyone was in agreement. The judge had no class. The kid and his hammer-headed horse had won.

A couple of things I learned that day:
It matters far more what you do with what you've got, than how shiny it is.
A good horse don't have a bad color.
Just cuz you've got a title don't mean yer right.

That was 46 years ago. I was 12 years old that day. None of these things have been proven wrong since.

Well.... for what ever reason I can't upload my turd. But it has a McGowen barrel, Burris XTR-II 8-40x50, and JP AICS chassis. It shoots purty good. It's on a Mod 12 VLP action I baught almost ten years ago. It's been many variations. For 8 of the years it wore a Lothar Walther 308 barrel.

Multiple .1" groups. 1 group that measured 1.5" at 713yrds witnessed. Poked a groundhog in the melon at 683 witnessed. I tuned the action myself w/o a gunsmith or lathe. Mounted multiple barrels w/o a gunsmith. It's been a .308, 300WSM, and now a 6.5 Creedmoor all on the same action.
The turd allows multiple calibers in one action that is infinitely changeable at your convenience in your own man cave. No smith necessary.

I compete with multiple guys using Savage actions. So if they can compete, they can kill a Coues deer. Happy shooting, and happy loading.

FYI, I bought the same rifle to build a target Rifle for my son. Gonna screw the Lothar barrel on it. Will be a shooter. Now if Cabelas could just get the rifle off of backorder so I can go pick it up.

Forgot to mention I'm in it to the tune of about $3k. I think it's worth it. The only thing I've had to rebuild after roughly 4K rnds of multiple calibers is the ejector springs and ejector.

IMG_4792.PNG

This rifle shoots groups like that consistently.

Lil tank, my ejector spring is about to get replaced when I get a chance, it came in the mail yesterday.

IMG_4991.PNG

This is an outside measurement of a 3 shot group from my stock .223 M12 varmint with my hand loads. It measures .074" CTC at 100 yds

The Cabela's $219 was a great price! I bought 3 rifles 22-250, 6 creed, and .308. I was thinking about re barreling one in 7mm. What is a good 7mm cartridge choice for the savage short action?

The Cabela's $219 was a great price! I bought 3 rifles 22-250, 6 creed, and .308. I was thinking about re barreling one in 7mm. What is a good 7mm cartridge choice for the savage short action?
7mm 08 is pretty much the only one other than the 2 short mags which don't really work well in a short action unless you plan on just running hunting bullets. The high bc bullets won t fit in the S.A. very well unless you just single feed

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.