Building an AR-15 for Coyote - 24" barrel?

Ron Bitters

I would like to get into coyote hunting. I'm building an AR (.223). Should I add on a 24" barrel? So far have a Spike's lower with RRA lower parts kit with varmint trigger group. For now I'm going with standard A2 buttstock. I was looking at a Bushmaster Varminter upper with a 24"barrel (1x9" twist). What are your thoughts and experiences?

I would like to get into coyote hunting. I'm building an AR (.223). Should I add on a 24" barrel? So far have a Spike's lower with RRA lower parts kit with varmint trigger group. For now I'm going with standard A2 buttstock. I was looking at a Bushmaster Varminter upper with a 24"barrel (1x9" twist). What are your thoughts and experiences?

I would say 16 to 18" maximum! There is no need what so ever to go that long! What will you gain? On the twist rate 1-9 is fine if you want your bullets to be 55g and below, I personally would opt for the 1-8 to give myself a shot at the bigger 55g and up loading's.

24" will get you a lil more FPS for just a lil more flat trajectory.. but also weighs more.

I did get a 24" bull barrel on an AR platform and i dont like it at all.

16"-18" will do everything you need it to. Also 8 or 9 twist will be fine.
Ive got a 7 twist 16" that shoots 40gr Vmax and 77gr Noslers into .75moa at 100yds. Also have an 8 twist that shoots 40gr and 68gr into less than 1moa at 100.. and a 9 twist that loves the 55gr stuff.

So pick whats more comfortable carrying around in the field.. you will be more happy.

Both my ARs are 16's, I've never had anything longer but I am going to build a 20" upper in the near future. My 16's have always worked great but I still have some cravings for a little longer barrel for the extra velocity. I think those 24's are pretty heavy to be packing around much but IMO a 18 or 20 would be a good happy medium of speed and weight.

I would say 16 to 18" maximum! There is no need what so ever to go that long! What will you gain? On the twist rate 1-9 is fine if you want your bullets to be 55g and below, I personally would opt for the 1-8 to give myself a shot at the bigger 55g and up loading's.
My thought on the 24" was that it could help if I needed to take a long shot.

My thought on the 24" was that it could help if I needed to take a long shot.

If you dont mind lugging around the extra weight then go for it. But a 16" will do everything the 24" will with in reason. its just gonna drop a lil faster from the loss of MV.
All i every use anymore is my 16" and good out to about 400yds.. Furtherest deer was 375.

Thanks all for your advice and experience. I ordered the Bushmaster 24"Varminter upper assembly. The barel is fluted which will shave a small amount of weight off. I have read some articles of folks having great success with it and 55 gr. VMax. I,m going to give it a try. I do hear what you are all saying about the weight. I'm sure it will be a blast to shoot! :D As far as having to lug it around. well that I am about to find out. Going to add on a Harris bipod. I just hope it won't be like lugging around an anvil!

I have a Rock River Arms EOP with a 24" bull barrel and it is super accurate but my next will definitely have an max barrel length of 20", maybe even 18" if it was a heavier profile.
Yeah. I was struggling to choose between the 20" and 24"". I went with the 24". We shall see!

Nice!!
is it a 9 twist?

Ive had good luck with the 55gr Vmax out of my DPMS and bolt guns.
Should be able to get them goin pretty fast with the 24" tho.

Good Luck!
Yes. it has a 1 in 9" twist. Im very excited! It should arrive next week. Going to start building the lower today minus the buffer assembly and rear stock. Those parts should arrive in a few weeks. Now I need to buy a scope and bipod. I'm leaning towards Nikon Monarch 4-16x50 withBDC reticle.

Harris bipod? Don't get me wrong they have there uses and such but I have pound that a good pair of shooting sticks or a stoney point rapid pivot bipod is the way to go!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.