Good Bullet for AR-15 for saving pets!

Reesetd

Hiah, sorry for the newby question.

Im sure this has been discussed alot but since im new to the form I have not found out how to use the serch here as of yet... I have a new upper coming in some day (3months ago it was order) from rockriver 20in vermit with a 1in8 twist.
Today I when into the local gun shop and was told many things from many ppl and am now confused as to what bullet would do good on a yote but still keep the pelts in good shape. One said to use a 55grain v max, another was to push the 40 vmax fast and hard to disenigrat in the yote.... so what is it bigger and slower or small and fast?

Thanks Reesetd

ROFLMAO **** cant edit the Title pelts kinda missed the L

Last edited:
lathe turned solids:) m855 is pretty clean from my expiriences with yotes here in vegas. Clean entry and clean exit. I'd find the tuffest bullet you can find with no expansion or fragmentation, yotes are not hard to kill you don't need a violent bullet.

Re: Good Bullet for AR-15 for saving pelts!

K thanks so much for the info, guess I have some 40 gr v max to plink with.. was not able to make it out of the gun shop with out some bullets since thy did have the powder that I wanted and I already have the brass and primers.

I am using 50-vmax in both my AR's right @ 3300 fps on the Vel.
I never get any Pass-Threw on the coyotes I shoot. The bullets pretty much do disintegrate before they pass-threw and the coyote pretty much fold and fall there.
Only time I ever really ripped one up bad was when I had one run-up right on me and stop right in front of me in my sit. The shot was no more than 20 yards and the V-max totally F-ed him up pretty severer for any descent Pelt salvage.
I used sierra match kings once because I get really nice accuracy with them. I really got sever bullet hole pass-threw with a big wound channel using them. SMK jackets must be pretty tough.

dogdinger
user_offline.gif

Find Me on the Map Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: nearest town, villa grove , co...northern san luis valley

Re: Good Bullet for AR-15 for saving pets!
i reccomend "Hooked on Phonics", then get rid of the pet

Dogdiger "hooked on phonics" helps you learn how to read not spell and type. That said I have never professed to be great at spelling typing or reading. As for the 17 Rem, I already had the ar-15 lower and my NM upper. So getting a varmint upper and learning the right set up for reloading for varmint would be a much quicker learning curve.

Thanks for the Feed back on the 50 vmax. I think that I'm going to load both the 55gn FMJ that I have and the 40 vmax and get to shooting. Again thank you all for your kindness to help out a newbie yoter.

Add also:
The 50 v-max shoot at faster vel. really tight also From the AR, but I really started to notice pretty hard extraction marks on the brass when I start climbing up to 3400 fps vel.
So (imho) might want to hold the Vel. @ not much higher than 3300 fps on the AR platform. I was not popping primers but it just felt and saw things that told me to back it off a little.

The best is a 62 to 65 grain soft point. Yes the cheap ones. If your 223 is like mine it won't be the most accurate load, but if your pelt hunting most of your shots will be under a hundred yards anyway. If you don't want to reload the $6.00 a box Golden Bear 62 grain Soft Point is the greatest pelt load I've ever seen. Not what you would call an M.O.A. load but the enterence hole is as close to 5.56mm as the eye can judge, and it never exits. Even the Bobcat I shot at 25 feet, perfect pelt. Hope this helps.

i reccomend "Hooked on Phonics", then get rid of the pet

...that may have been a slight ding, but i gotta' admit it was pretty funny.

I always used 40's in my 22's for peLts--heck even a pet or 2 on occasion. But i wasn't trying to get to long-range either. All the bigger 69's/68's i tried gave me big exit wounds out to even 550 yds. so i wouldn't suggest them. One bullet that i was quite impressed with (@ 22-250 velocities) was the 60 gr. Sierra GK.

If you're trying to get to long-range as well as easy on pelts I've heard the 65 gr SGK does very well.

Thanks for the info on the SGK... I have not been able to get my hand on my vermit upper from Rock River and my order was placed 6 just about 7 months ago. So reloading and testing has come to a stand still. I have powder brass primer and bullets just no upper as of yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts