Building a Model 7

Another thought, what about the scope and mounts? Are the mounts tight and straight? Have the mounts been lapped in for straight alignment. Is the scope repeatable?

You might be better off trading the rifle in on a new rifle of known or guaranteed accuracy. For instance the Weatherby Vanguard comes with an accuracy guarantee if sub MOA.

I bought a model 7 about 6 years ago in 243. I tried everything to get it to shoot. Nothing under 2 MOA. I took it to a gunsmith who found several 'tight spots' in the barrel by running a tight patch through it. Remington would not do anything, so I ended up putting a benchmark barrel on it. Shoots just fine now.

The Model Seven uses the same mag box as the Rem SA. An extended box should not be used in the Seven, there's just no 'extra' room at the back where material is removed to fit an extended box.

Tell you right now, a 308 with heavier elk class bullets in a lightweight model 7 Can be a real handful. I'd say 7mm/08 or 260 rem.

From my experience the model 7 can be made to shoot well. I have heard a lot of unhappy people, after they got their seven. Relieving the barrel of those pressure points is a good start. I bought one new when the 260 appeared in 1997. One thing i can say for sure. Remington promoted a 140 grain bullet in their literature, but sent out guns with a 1-10 twist. Bad move on their part. The little 260 will shoot 2 in a 1/2 inch group at 100. Then send a flier to make the group open up to 3/4 inch. The pencil thin barrel heats up quickly. My load is a 120 grain nosler ballistic, behind 41.5 grains of imr 4064. It was a 2 inch shooter at 100 yards with factory ammo. But groups decent with the nbt. Killed an 8 point just a couple of weeks back. I can pretty well say the nbt has never exited. The bucks heart and lungs were soup.

Thank you for what you do with disabled vets. In my opinin (I have s/s model 7 in 7mm08) I would stay with the caliber. I would how ever look into re-barreling it. Stay caliber and go to a light sporter weight barrel and honestly i love my 3 model 7"s with their short barrels I would look into 20-22 in barrel. I see your on the OR/ID border and I know that is a lot of places it could be but if you are reasonable distance to CdA there is a gunsmith that I would recommend you who whole heartedly supports vets and vet organizations and he I am sure would help you out.

Recent Posts