custom build on model 7 action?

okie man

I have a model 7 with a 18'' barrel in 243 win. bought it for my son many years ago and he has out grown it. I just cant justify burning all the powder it burns for the velocities I get with the short barrel. I've been wanting to send it off and have it trued up and have a 22'' barrel put on it. has anyone used a model 7 action for a custom build?

Yes I have on a 308. I put a 22 inch hart barrel on it. a rifle basics trigger and a laminated wood stock. After that I had it Glass bedded. it will shoot ragged holes all day.

I had one custom built in .308. Had a 20" bull barrel, Black/gray HS Pro 2000 Varmint stock, glass bedded, trued, Jewell trigger set to about 10oz, the works... Shot 1-hole groups. It got stolen back in 2008. I hope they find it someday...I miss that gun.

I have one in 350 Mag, 22" Shilen barrel + 1-1/2" for brake. My wife uses it when we Bear hunting. Shoots darn well without being "trued" like 1/2" at 100 yds Barnes 200 gr

I have built a 223, 223 AI, 22/250, 6.5 Lapua, 260 rem, lots of 7/08s, 7WSMs, 7 SAUMs, 308s,
325 WSMs and a 338 RCM with great results. (I probably left out a few).

22 to 23" barrels seem to be best all round.

With a very short action (the mag is the same length as the short action Remington)but the action is 1/2" shorter than a standard SA Remington I like to use heavy contours or the hunter bench rest
taper for accuracy .

On some of the WSMs and SAUMs a 24" barrel may be preferred.

It is a great action to build on and can be very accurate.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.