Model 7 build

Tnsavage

I've got a Remington model 7 stainless that i'm planning on building into a 270 wsm or 7mm wsm. I'm really leaning towards the 7mm wsm but my question is will I have any problems with it feeding? There is also the 7mm saum and I have no idea if it is any better than the 7mm wsm? Ill be using it for whitetail max distance for right now is 600 yards. I've got several other guns so im not interested in building it in any other calibers. Thanks

I love the model 7 action....But only for TRUE short-action calibers (which IMO, doesn't include the WSM's). Because the action is even shorter than the already short Remington 700 short action.

Is the action already designed for WSM calibers? Does it already have the WSM magnum bolt face?

If not, and if it has a standard bolt face (.308), then I'd build a 7mm-08.

It currently is a 300 wsm so im guessing that it has the magnum bolt face. But what somebody has done is took a 300 weatherby and cut it down in the back of the barrel and re threaded it to fit a 300 wsm which I don't even know is possible.It looks like to me it would be some kind of wildcat because if the shoulder isn't the same on the wsm and weatherby wouldn't it fire form every round to the weatherby shoulder? Ive never shot the gun I just got a good deal on it and thought id build something out of it. If it is going to be a big deal to chamber it for a wsm I may go with the saum cause I know they came out factory chambered in them. Do you think it would work out ok in a saum and what do you guys think about it vs a wsm?

They probably cut the shank back a good bit, and re-cut the chamber with a .300 WSM reamer, in which case it should (if they did it this way) would be the correct way of doing it.

As long as they cut the shank back far enough that the .300 WSM reamer was able to cut a good chamber, then I'd say it's fine. But the only way to find out is to shoot the gun. If the brass comes out looking funny, then something isn't right. If the guns shoots alright and the brass looks normal, then I'd say they did it properly.

If it's already a WSM caliber, then you should be fine having a smith do a barrel swap to 7mm WSM. I'd go atleast 26" on the barrel length and a 1:9 twist, that way it will stabilize anything from a 140 up to a 180gr Berger.

It currently is a 300 wsm so im guessing that it has the magnum bolt face. But what somebody has done is took a 300 weatherby and cut it down in the back of the barrel and re threaded it to fit a 300 wsm which I don't even know is possible.It looks like to me it would be some kind of wildcat because if the shoulder isn't the same on the wsm and weatherby wouldn't it fire form every round to the weatherby shoulder? Ive never shot the gun I just got a good deal on it and thought id build something out of it. If it is going to be a big deal to chamber it for a wsm I may go with the saum cause I know they came out factory chambered in them. Do you think it would work out ok in a saum and what do you guys think about it vs a wsm?

It is possible to cut the 300 Weatherby down to 300 WSM.

I would replace it simply because it is a factory barrel and if it shot good they probably would not have sold it.

As far as the SAUM compared to the WSM everything should work with ether one.
I like to use a center feed mag box on the short magnums (It solves the problem of loading more than two rounds and having the third round pop out.

The 300 SAUM and the 300 WSM are very close in ballistics and ether one would be good, The 7 WSM has the best ballistics of all of the WSMs and has slightly more case capacity.

The Model 7 action is 1/2" shorter than the short action Remington , But the magazine is the same length as the short action and will work with all of the "Short Magnums" .

J E CUSTOM

I found out some more info on this gun it was a 260 and the guy said the extractor had been changed. I know nothing about if this will work or not. I don't care to do a little extra work to it to make it right. Do I need a different bolt? Im wanting to make it a 7mm wsm still or even the 7mm saum. Thanks for helping me out guys.

Do you have a set of calipers? If so, close them, zero them out, and stick the pointy ends that go opposite directions in the bolt face and post the measurement. If it was a .260 Rem bolt, then it should be around .473". If someone opened the face up to a magnum caliber (SAUM & WSM included), it should be around .540".

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.