Win Model 70 build

Jimmur275

I have entered into a contest with some of my old Army Ranger Buddies that goes like this.

1. Using an off the shelf rifle in 300 WM.
2. Staying under $1000.00.
3. Only changing the stock and trigger.
4. Using a standard hunting scope with duplex type reticle.

We all shoot 7 STW's, mine is a Rifles INC and has been killing since 1996. That being said the guys I am up against are good so here is what I need help with.

I have a Win new style pre 64 in 300 WM that shoots pretty good but the stock is factory. What stock would you guys suggest (non tactical) and what scope? I put a Vortex Viper HS 4 - 16 x 44 it to see if it was the rifle I was going to use for this endeavor and was real happy.

What are you guys ideas???

Mcmillan a3 sporter, swarovski optik

Like the McMillan, but get a quality scope your eye chooses. I've seen too many impulsively buy a scope only to find his friend's glass appears much better when you look through it. Good luck in beating those guys.

Swarovski glass is top notch and they hold. I don't know of anyone I've hunted or shot with who was ever dissapointed with a swarovski scope they bought. My personal preference goes with non illuminated due to the fact by the time you need a lighted reticle a shot on game shouldn't be taken anyway.

have to use something like a Choate UV, B and C or something like that, a timney trigger and a lower end optic

I would use a Boyd's stock and pillar bed it, Timney or Trigger Tech trigger and the best quality Vortex scope that would keep you under your limit.

Sounds like fun. gun)

I really like the idea of the Boyd's and Bell and Carlson. These guys know what they are talking about and it is not a second mortgage.

For me I like the Bell and Carlson with the full length aluminum bedding, you may need to do some grinding to support the Timney trigger but the Timney is worth it. For Glass I am real partial to the Burris Veracity FFP. I am using the 3 X 15 X 50 30mm in Elk rifles and the 4 X 20 X 50 30mm on my Antelope rifle. ( just hard to recommend any glass that is not First Focal Plane)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.