Win model 70 300 rum

bill2506

Does anyone have any experience with aWinchester Model 70 Sporter in 300 RUM ? It has a wood stock standard barrel. I used to have a Rem 700 really shot well, just traded for this gun any suggestions are appreciated. It will be primarily used on deer and elk if i ever get drawn for a KY tag. gun)gun)

Owned mine since new(circa 2002). Trigger was horrible when I got it, so had to have it tweaked. Once I did that, it shot some nice groups. Mine is the stainless/synthetic. Seems to feed fine, recoil pad was substandard for the abuse it dishes. Went to a limbsaver and that made a world of difference. Finally changed stocks, put the action into a factory grade II sporter stock. Think I read these come with pachmayr pads. As long as the trigger is good, it hould be a shooter. Mine liked the factory 180 NP loads that remington used to sell.

Yeah i agree about the recoil pad, i'm going to put a limbsaver on this one. I shoot right handed and have a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder so i want to tame it down , I will not go the muzzle brake route because they arent bystander friendly and in my opinion if you have to put a brake on it its to much gun for that person. I sighted it in with some power level 1 150 gr and it shot really nice groups. I had some 180 sirroccos and it shot those real good no problem hitting a 4" square target at 300 yds.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.