Thoughts on a model 70 build

pburton

I have a Winchester Model 70 CRF in 7rem mag. It has the old style trigger and the short magazine box. I was just going to rebarrel it with a faster twist and chamber it in 7 rem mag again until I realized how short the mag box is. 3.4". So, I started thinking about what else I could chamber it in and have a few questions. My first question is, how do you think a WSM cartridge would feed using my current box and follower? I know that it may limit the number of cartridges I can have in the box, which is not a big deal to me. As long as I have one follow up shot. Second, what cartridge would you go with in this situation? I already have a 7mm/.284 barrel, but also don't have a problem buying a different barrel. This rifle will be mainly used for deer and antelope, but on occasion it may go with me for elk. Last question: Other than the Wyatts mag box, what are people using with the Win 70 to get a magazine with room for some longer bullets? Thank you in advance for any input.

I bought a M70 in 300 Win (Laredo Long Range Hunter with the heavy barrel) years ago and replaced the magazine box with one for a 300/375 H&H (no spacer). Unfortunately, I don't remember if I had to replace the follower... I didn't modify anything else to get it to work (bolt step, etc.).

Something like this one:

I bought a M70 in 300 Win (Laredo Long Range Hunter with the heavy barrel) years ago and replaced the magazine box with one for a 300/375 H&H (no spacer). Unfortunately, I don't remember if I had to replace the follower... I didn't modify anything else to get it to work (bolt step, etc.).

Something like this one:
Thank you for the input on this. I was looking at this exact box a couple of hours ago, but was not sure if it would work.

I was wondering about that. I know it has a spacer, but was not sure if I would need to get a longer follower to make that work?
The only way to know for sure is to try it, over the years I rechambered numerous winchesters to various calibers, such as 270 win to 270 weatherby, 7Mag to 7 STW or 7 STW to ultra mag, or say rebarrel 3006 to 416 remington, over the years I collected a large selection of springs and followers, whenever feeding problems arose I'd start changing them around, It never accurd to me to take notes on what I did to correct the problem, for what you are planning I don't think you will have a problem with the current spring and follower, however you will most likely need to modify the bolt Stop once the spacer is removed,

Last edited: