Would like thoughts on a build

farmerdave

I have a Remington 700 Long Action 30-06 that I am sending away to be re barreled. Initially it was going to be a 270 win. Never had one, always wanted one. The more I search, the more I see there is very little talk of the 270 anymore, so I've been wondering about a 6.5x284 Norma.

Just so you'll know, I did use the "search", and have done a lot of reading here, but still confused by all the info.

BTW, gonna be a sporter

Thanks,

My suggestion is .280 AI SAAMI/Nosler spec version. Nosler makes .280 AI brass.

For an all-around caliber, it's just hard to beat the .280 AI.

There isn't an answer for you, other than the question your already answered. You wanted a 270 and never had one, so that is what you should get.
Both will kill anything you are going to hunt, so do what makes you happy.

There isn't an answer for you, other than the question your already answered. You wanted a 270 and never had one, so that is what you should get.

+1! Have re-barreled to 26" 1:8", load them with 165/175 Matrix VLD and Berger 170s and you're golden.

Here's an excellent article on .270 Win >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/270-win-long-range-shooting-1.php

I have a .270 AI with 30" Lilja 1:8" 3-groove that propels the 175 Matrix near 3100 FPS but my current accuracy load is 2993 FPS.

1116141048_zps31535348.jpg

Thanks for reply's

Should have given more info:

Have a 280AI. Bought a Cooper a few months ago
Have a Vanguard 30-06
Have an A-Bolt 25-06

Now that time is near for decision, I read that the 6.5x284 is hard on barrels and whatnot. Just wondering if it's all subjective, that shooting paper and trying it on critters wouldn't ever shoot it out

Thanks for reply's

Have a Vanguard 30-06
Have an A-Bolt 25-06

Now that time is near for decision, I read that the 6.5x284 is hard on barrels and whatnot. Just wondering if it's all subjective, that shooting paper and trying it on critters wouldn't ever shoot it out

After your clarification above, where does your original statement below "truly" falls?

Initially it was going to be a 270 win. Never had one, always wanted one.

After your clarification above, where does your original statement below "truly" falls?

At this point I've all but talked myself out of a 270. I've always been prone to having something different, thus after doing a lot of reading here and googling myself to death, I decided to jump in the deep end and post a question here. New to all this so prolly a mistake.

Thanks to all replys...

I had a 6.5x284 for a while, it's getting a new tube on it right now...guess what it's going to be? Yup, a .270 Win ;)

Thanks for reply's

Have a Vanguard 30-06
Have an A-Bolt 25-06

Well, that being the case, the 6.5 Sherman sounds like it would be a good fit, since you want something different.

You can contact Rich Sherman (elkaholic) for more info, dies, and renting a chamber reamer.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.