Thoughts on 257 Ackley build

While the .257 Ackley is a runaway favorite among hunters, some have encountered problems with the COAL in relationship with the short action magazine. Remington did release .257 Roberts ammunition designed for short actions but otherwise you need to make dummy cartridges to see where the bullets are seated to work through the magazines.

Currently the simple solution is the .25 Creedmoor with any of the heavier (100gr.+) bullets like the Nosler Partition or the 133/135 Bergers. Loads and feeds from the standard short action magazines. Very efficient.

I have always been a fan of the .250 Savage AI. It may be an older design but it makes for a superb rifle where a slightly shorter barrel might come in handy.

There are several threads discussing the recent advent of the .25 caliber cartridges and bullets.

:)

I have had two 25/284 and two 6/284 and numerous 6 Remingtons and AI. The 25 and 6-284's were on Rem short actions, and I would never go a short action route again, the cartridge is just too long.

The 6 Rem AI, 257 Roberts and AI are all best on long actions due to short magazine for the cartridge.

For short action must have, make it a 250 Savage AI and install a Wyatt's mag box in the 700s.

In a short action a 25 souper (25/308) might be a better choice than a 257AI, slightly less overall length. I prefer a plain old 257 Roberts but not in a short action. I have owned a 25/284 and it would do what you're trying todo also.

I had to take the bolt out of my 25/284 to extract a loaded round, ended up milling a slight indention in the front of the port like the magnum weatherby.

Better look before you leap on this issue.

So, how much weight difference is there between a short action rifle and a long action rifle? Answer: about 6 oz.

The Creed is actually too long for a rem short action but people make it work.

Go to a shorter cartridge if you can, 25x47 Lapua, 250 Savage AI.

People seem to throw away their brains on this short vs long action issue, pandering to their emotions vs logic.

I have a 257 AI I had built on a mauser 98. The 98 action is not as long as a long action and longer than a short action. I thought of doing an updated version with a twist for heavier bullets and a modern action. If I did this I decided to use a long action. IMO the advantage of a short action is not that great.
I have a bunch of other projects that interest me more, so I don't know if I'll ever try it.
I do think the 257 AI is a great round.

image10.jpg

Examples of .25-caliber cartridges include (left to right):
the .250 Savage, .257 Roberts, .25-06 Remington
and the .257 Weatherby Magnum.

This will depend on the bullets selected for the .257 AI since it is based on the 7x57 Mauser case. Shorter, lighter bullets can be used in the short action while the longer, heavier bullets either protrude deeply into the case or seated out, become too long for the magazine. This is like trying to shoe horn your size 11 foot into a size 10 boot...:(

I used the .250 Savage AI in short actions with the heaviest bullets seated out, still fit that magazine properly.

Enjoy!

:)

Would a 250 savage improved be a better fit for a short action Remington than a 257AI?
Absolutely! There is no downside to your pursuit of the 250 Savage AI. Your gunsmith may have the tooling to use a 22/250 AI reamer, open up the neck to the desired dia, then throat to your desired length.

My 257 Roberts AI goes on a long action without hesitation.

Question for you guys. Is all factory 257 Roberts brass built to the +P pressure specs? Assuming they beefed the brass up for +P.

I would sure consider the .25 Creed using small primer Lapua brass, does amazing things and is a much better fit in a short action..