Build Thoughts

jsthntn247

I've got a Tikka I was thinking using for a build. Wanting something very light to hunt with suppressed for stalking and climbing stand hunting in the woods. Thinking 18" 280Ai carbon barrel to shoot 140 grain hammers. Stockystocks has a 20 oz stock for Tikkas and top it with a 3-15x42 Razor. Anything I need to know about the 280ai? A friend of mine used to shoot them years ago and I remember him telling me about their being 2 different specs on reamers or something (one being allot shorter) and you had to make sure you got the right one for the dies you had??

Talk to your GS on reamer options. 18" is short for a 280ai. If I was going under 20", I would look at the SAUM. I'm not sure what you define as light weight, but <8.5 lbs. ready to hunt is achievable with the right components on a 280ai.
I have a standard bolt face.

I've got a Tikka I was thinking using for a build. Wanting something very light to hunt with suppressed for stalking and climbing stand hunting in the woods. Thinking 18" 280Ai carbon barrel to shoot 140 grain hammers. Stockystocks has a 20 oz stock for Tikkas and top it with a 3-15x42 Razor. Anything I need to know about the 280ai? A friend of mine used to shoot them years ago and I remember him telling me about their being 2 different specs on reamers or something (one being allot shorter) and you had to make sure you got the right one for the dies you had??
There is a 280 Ack Imp reamer that has been around for years and then when nosler standardized the 280 AI, they speced it slightly different so people would be more likely to buy their brass instead of form their own. You are correct, they are different so make sure you know which one your getting.

I sold my 280AI for several reasons. But The first was that it just did not perform with a short barrel and I was impressed compared to what a 6.5 PRC could offer in a short barrel.

Personally I find short actions, short barrels and short fat cartridges to be a better combination ballistically and aesthetically. I have an 18" 6.5PRC and a 26" 300 win mag. Different goals and uses for each. I prefer a longer barrel on my long actions.

You might consider posting your long action here and try trading for a magnum bolt face. A WSM, SAUM, PRC or even Sherman could be better suited to your velocity goals with a short barrel compared to a standard bolt face long action.

After going down the custom road twice I think it's all about setting a reasonable velocity goal and then matching cartridge, barrel and powder to make sure it's achievable.

I will also add, DO NOT TRUST ALL LOAD DATA. Go to the manufacturer. People love to hotrod the 280AI all the time, I had some crazy pressure using folks starting loads with some of the copper mono bullets.

7mm-08 or AI will get as much as you can (maybe even more than the 280 AI with less muzzle flash) with such a short barrel and will work with your standard bolt slick as sh** in the Tikka.
Isn't there about a 20 grain difference in case capacity between the two? Can you share data for your short barreled 7-08 and 280ai?

7mm-08 or AI will get as much as you can (maybe even more than the 280 AI with less muzzle flash) with such a short barrel and will work with your standard bolt slick as sh** in the Tikka.
Isn't there about a 20 grain difference in case capacity between the two? Can you share data for your short barreled 7-08 and 280ai?
Had a 7mm-08 with 20" for my son as a youth rifle. It shot 120 grain very well with good velocity.
When I first got my suppressor, I chopped a sporter 280 AI barrel to 20" to be threaded.
I tried the same loaded 140 grain (without suppressor) that it shot as a 26" and created a huge fireball and lost lots of velocity.
I then for shitz and giggles shot some 140 grain loads in the 7mm-08 to compare. It struggled to shoot a tight group but was about 150 slower than 280ai and I'm sure the 7-08 Ai would close that gap.
I wasn't happy with the big loss of velocity in the short barrel 280ai and put another 24" long carbon barrel.

Being the OP stated he wants to shoot light Hammers fast… I figured he'd be less disappointed going with the short action 7mm variety which is better suited for shorter barrels with better efficiency.

Of course this is only my opinion from results of my simple tests. The suppressor will re-coup a wee bit of velocity but not enough for me to justify choosing the 280ai over 7mm-08 standard or AI in this configuration.

He can and will build what he wants… I was only trying to inform him of my experience.
There are others on here that know much more than me and will have merit with their actual experiences and recommendations.

It is a bit of a myth that larger chamberings MUST have longer barrels to be faster the smaller capacity rounds of same caliber. Learned this from many years of building some rather extreme handcannons on the XP-100 platform.

in a 26" barrel, a 280 AI will be faster then a 7-08 obviously, but as barrel shortens, the 280 AI will always be faster. The velocity spread may narrow a bit but it will maintain a significant advantage, remember the 7-08 will also loose velocity. while the advantage in a 26" barrel may be 150 fps, in a 16" barrel it may be 100 fps but still faster.

excessive fireballs are generally a result of the powder type used more then anything and this is under your control to some degree by hand loading.

if efficency is big on your list, that being the FPS generated per grain of powder, then go smaller but a properly loaded 280 AI will solidly outperform any 7-08. As will a 7mm Rem Mag outperform any 280 AI in same length barrels when each are loaded to same pressures.

here in lies the issues. Its common to lean on the throttle a bit with smaller rounds to make them look more impressive then they are compared to the larger.

simply put, the fastest round in a full length barrel will still be the fastest in a shorter barrel, advantage may be slightly less but will still be faster.

similar debate as to a 7-08 AI being 100 fps faster then a standard 7-08. How is this possible with only a couple grains increase in powder capacity, simply put, most will run the AI to higher pressures then the standard round….
probably just ****ed a load of people off which was not my intent.

My apologies!
I didn't word this correctly and surely sounds misleading!
Should have given the longer version. I'll try again.
The 7mm-08 would give more efficient performance in velocity per grain of powder burnt than would a 280ai in a 20" barrel simply due to volume and burn time...with the excess waste blowing out the muzzle in fireball fashion.

I did fire the exact same load in the 20" as was used in the 26" barrel so...yes, it was a slower burning powder while the 7mm-08 load was a faster powder and, as stated, my results were that the 280ai was still faster.
With that said, loading the 280ai with a faster burning powder in short barrel would help burn time but would still be less efficient in an 18" or 20" barrel for the volume of powder consumed.

As stated before... the short 7's outshine the 280ai in this configuration.

Be sure to check suppressor manufacturing recommendations for minimum barrel length/ caliber due to pressure.
Be aware of Tikka's magazine limitation for 280 AI OAL.

Have a good weekend guys!