Would like input on 240 Weatherby.

I had a simi-custom from APR which I should have never sold.

It was a 26 inch 1:8 shooting 115 bergers at 3100 to .5moa at 600 yards. This was over H1k.

Brutal deer, hog and yote thumper with really fairly light recoil.

It is a very fast .243/6mm caliber that can fill the role as a heavy varminter, predator or deer rifle. I have one in the Weatherby UltraLight rifle. Believe it is still the fastest commercial .243/6mm load

This is a reloader caliber that can take advantage of a wide selection of .243/6mm bullets. Brass isn't cheap. Factory ammo is available from Weatherby and HSM but it is pricey compared to 6mm Creedmoor.

I like the caliber but am a Weatherby fan. If I had to choose, I'd opt for the 6mm CM.

Shoot it, you will love it. Might not like the price to feed it but it is worth it. Has a bit of a bark to it so hide your ears. Friend of mine had a 224 Wby and when he called at night he would say "this always makes the porch lights come on".

I have one of the original West German made 240's. As stated above, it is a great deer, antelope, large varmint cartridge. I had mine out the other day checking it's zero. My rifle still shoots great for being about 49-50 years old. Mostly load the 95 grain Ballistic Tips with RL22.
Gary

Just inherited a 240 Weatherby in old 6-lug Mark V.

I can't speak to the rifle but the cartridge is one of my long time favorites!

I've used it for Coues deer, coyote, rock chucks, and prairie dogs scared to the back of the field by all the short shots. It is not a high volume shooting cartridge. Pick your shots and make them.

I happen to own the 240 Weatherby's daddy; the 240 Gibbs.it accounted for my first 500+ yardage Nevada Miley and my last years Idaho whitetail with several other assorted species in between. The fast 24 caliber is a wonderful round. Had it out last evening overlooking a canyon with distances from 95 to 300 yards - all within MPBR. Hard to beat.
6C337D95-2C89-435E-8B11-118C0271FC3C.jpeg

If you like bergers the 95 classics are hard to beat. The 240 has the shortest freebore of the wby cartridges so you may get good results with the 95 vld. I never did and the classics were silly easy to tune
For mpbr the 100gr partition accounts for some pretty amazing drt kills under 400 yards.
Lead free it's hard to beat a lazer quick ttsx

Just inherited a 240 Weatherby in old 6-lug Mark V. Don't know much about it, and would appreciate input/advice. Not opposed to selling or rebarreling if it comes to that.
Great cartridge and rifle. If you load for it you will have lots of options. Give it a try!

I can not say anything these people before me have said. I am personally not a fan of the 6mm or 6.5mm slugs. not my thing. I am however; a great fan of the 257's. the 257 Rob/AI, 25-06, 257 Weath, 25 STW, 25 WSM (necked down 7MM WSM), and some of the other really smoking 25's. either the 240 or the 257 weatherbys would make you smile from ear to ear. my go to caliber is the 277. now I hear that the 7 mm RUM has a 277 wildcat and the 308 Norma has a 277 wildcat. My wildcat idea is a 7MM R/M necked down to 277. heavy twist (1:8" or 1:7") and 170 grain Bergers and 150 grain Barnes.

You're not gonna want to keep it I'll send ya my address . It'll keep you from suffering and dealing with it. I've always kept an eye out for one would love to find a German made one though. Don't know that there is any actual difference but the German made weatherby just feel different compared to the others I've handled.

Recent Posts