Building a drop table off mil dots

linksmechanic

If I build a drop table off mil dots using exbal do I need to focus my scope at certain power? I'm currently using a mark 4 6.5-20x50? I can't seem to find any info about this in my owners manual.

it does not matter what power setting you use as long as you know how far apart the dots are at a given distance, and use the same power setting each time. for instance, my dots in a 10X super sniper are exactly 3.5 inches @ 100 yds. this gives you 7" @ 200 etc etc.....yours may only be 2 inches @ whatever magnification you choose to use. choose the mag level thats works best for your load.

If you are gonna punch your stuff into exbal to get a drop for mils you do need to know what power setting your scope needs to be set for mils. If you were just gonna go shoot to make your own drop chart then the setting doesn't matter, as stated above just make sure the power ring is on the same setting whenever you are gonna use the drop chart. I have never used the 6.5-20 so I can't tell you what power it SHOULD mil at. What you need to do is place a 36" target at exactly 100 yards and adjust the power setting till the 36" is on the 10 mil. Then mark that setting on the power ring, it may fall between the numbers. You can do smaller targets but it is more precise on a bigger target.
1mil = 3.6" @ 100yards
5mil = 18" @ 100yards
10mil = 36" @100yards

Last edited:
The Leupold site was not very helpfull either but they do make the mark 4 6.5-20x50 in both first and second focal plain??
The easiest way I can explain how to find out is to put a yardstick or an inch square target @ 100 yards, then set the scope to 18x and see how far apart the mildots are?
If the dots are about 3½" apart then your scope is front focal plane and will stay that distance @ all powers. If the dots are 2" apart its second focal pane and the dots should be mills @ 10x.
For me its easier to set the dots to MOA but you can use the yardstick to check it out and see what works best for you. Most bulistic programs will read out in Mills and MOA but the thing is to find out what power you plan to use and how far apart the dots are,then get out and make sure it works for you in the field!

What Bravo4 said:

I duplicated the Mil Dot reticle on a large piece of paper.

All dots 3.6" apart.

Posted the paper at exactly 100 yds from the muzzle.

Adjusted scope power to match the paper exactly.

Marked the scope accordingly.

It was an expensive cheap scope, calibrated at somewhere around 11 power.

Then repeated the process for max powder setting.

The FFP reticle solves the variable power problem really well.

What Roy said...
unless, like dogdinger, your mil subtensions aren't correct.

The FFP makes life so much easier if you use the reticle for anything other then aiming with the center cross.

Would like to figure the same thing, 3.5X 10 reading is at 10 power for 3.5 or
3.6 which ever mildot you have,
The 4.5X 14 is at 14 power to get a 3.5 at 100 yards.
with a 500 yard zero at center the top would be 100 yard zero with
a 175 smk at 2600 fps the bottom would be around 850 yards now
trying to figure out a different bullet and different speed will change again..
Doing the math .....Priceless....

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.