Building a rifle off a savage 110 action?

Deerslayer11

I have a savage 110 chambered in 30-06 sitting in the back of the safe. I don't use it at all as I have a 7mm rem mag and 300 win mag for deer, bear, etc. what if I build it into a long range varmint rifle? I'm thinking 22-250, maybe. Any ideas would help. Thanks! ~ Jake

I'd look to trade the long action for a short then run your 22-250, 243, 6cm, 6.5cm, 243ai, or if you get a smaller bolt head 223 or 223ai. The SA will be nice for faster follow up shots and to avoid any feeding issues.

I'd look to trade the long action for a short then run your 22-250, 243, 6cm, 6.5cm, 243ai, or if you get a smaller bolt head 223 or 223ai. The SA will be nice for faster follow up shots and to avoid any feeding issues.

Thanks for the info. What's the difference of the 243 and 243 ai? And I kinda wanted to stay with the 308 bolt face. Which 243 does fit.

Thanks for the info. What's the difference of the 243 and 243 ai? And I kinda wanted to stay with the 308 bolt face. Which 243 does fit.
It will get you a 150-200+/- FPS and a 40* shoulder which is going to be better on your brass. i just did mine from 243 to AI n i love it a lot. berger 105 shooting well under 1/2 more like 3/8" groups n i'm just getting started I built mine on a savage 12 pac nor bull barrel 30". use what you got it'll work great

I have a savage 110 chambered in 30-06 sitting in the back of the safe. I don't use it at all as I have a 7mm rem mag and 300 win mag for deer, bear, etc. what if I build it into a long range varmint rifle? I'm thinking 22-250, maybe. Any ideas would help. Thanks! ~ Jake

I kinda wanted to stay with the 308 bolt face.

Below are some chambering possibilities for your action ...

Long actions with a bolt face .DIA of .470 +/-
220 Swift, 6mm Rem, 240 Weatherby Mag, 257 Roberts, 25-06 Rem,
6.5x55 Swedish, 270 Win, 7x57 Mauser, 7x64 Brenneke, 280 Rem, 30/06 Springfield,
8mm Mauser, 338/06 A Square, and the 35 Whelen.

Out of the list, IIWY, I'd pick the 220 Swift or 6MM Remington. If you reload and do wildcat, the list is impressive.

Good luck!

Ed

Wow didn't know that! Thanks man I'll be looking into a 220 swift barrel now! Any recommendations? I'd prefer prefit barrels.

I don't have personal experience with them but know quite a few folks happy with McGowan, Shilen, PacNor, and Xcaliber. There are others and hopefully the guys will chime in too.

IIWY, I'd change to a thicker recoil lug too.

Not to cloud the water (I have been known to do that) but there is a very popular wildcat based on a 6mm rem necked down to .224 Called a Texas Trophy Hunter. I would recommend a 1 in 9 twist If you intend to shoot the 75 grain bullets occasionally. or the 1 in 10 twist for 55 grain bullets. there is no reason to go lighter because of the velocity potential but a 1 in 12 or 1 in 14 would be used if 40 grain bullets were used because velocity would exceed the 220 swift.

It can deliver more power than the 22-250 or the 220 Swift and it works well in a long action. There
is no tricky fire forming and neck sizing is all that Is required. it will hum the lighter varmint bullets
and if you want to hunt white tails it will push the 75 grain A Max to 3780+ ft/sec.

Brass and dies are readily available for it also.

Something to think about .

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
I don't have personal experience with them but know quite a few folks happy with McGowan, Shilen, PacNor, and Xcaliber. There are others and hopefully the guys will chime in too.

IIWY, I'd change to a thicker recoil lug too.

Northlandshooterssupply.com

They have machined nuts and heavy lugs, but they do not stock the 220. It may be hard to find one of those prefits in stock, surly you could order one. NSS stock CBI and Shilen. Jim is also great to talk to. I was thinkin if you stick w/ the LA might as well go big like 25-06, but I never asked if you planned on keeping any fur?

Northlandshooterssupply.com

They have machined nuts and heavy lugs, but they do not stock the 220. It may be hard to find one of those prefits in stock, surly you could order one. NSS stock CBI and Shilen. Jim is also great to talk to. I was thinkin if you stick w/ the LA might as well go big like 25-06, but I never asked if you planned on keeping any fur?

Well it'd be more for varmints and predators. Possibly deer. Probably not. But I'd want it to be fur friendly on the predators.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts