Building a rifle

arios

I know this has been discussed before; but does anyone know if there is an action out there (custom or semi-custom) that's not $1000.00 or more? I want to build a rifle, just because I like to try everything once. I don't, however, want to build a $5000.00 dollar rifle. Since I don't have a lathe; my plan is to get an action and put a pre-fit barrel on it; such as a Pac-nor or Bergara. I am thinking Remington 700 or a clone.
I've bedded/free-floated a few rifles, done some trigger work, and mounted plenty of scopes, now I want to put the whole thing together.
Any input will be appreciated.

It would be an absolute shame to to put a pre-threaded & chambered barrel on a custom action. Custom/semi-custom actions deserve custom threaded/chambered/crowned barrels. A pre-T,C,& C barrel is made to fit every action of the particular model it is made for. I don't believe they are ever as accurate as a true custom. But, if that's what you want to do,, I don't usually give this advice,, buy a Savage. Then, you're not really "building" a rifle, you're just assembling one. JMO

+1 Shortgrass. I would find the action, Savage or Rem and sent it off to Pacnor and have them fit it the barrel, they will do a little work to square it up and it is cheaper then having most smiths do it. Most end up with a rifle that can shot MOLG (minute of large game) when it is all said and finished. Good luck!

IMO,

Jon

Savage or a Remington, but remington prefits are long chambered and require milling the shoulder as much as .020" unless you use a remage barrel nut from northland shooters supply. I do all of my savages myself, my leftover parts savage that I plink with shoots .2-.4moa so it doesn't make it any less accurate unless the machinist that cuts your chamber doesn't know what they are doing, and you can get the headspace correct.

The new Shilen actions are <$1000 and come with a barrel nut so you can use drop in barrels.

Yes, it would just be "assembling" a rifle with a pre-fitted barrel, but I already did a barreled action with a Howa. Just trying to make it a little more involved.
Thanks for all the input.

I know this has been discussed before; but does anyone know if there is an action out there (custom or semi-custom) that's not $1000.00 or more? I want to build a rifle, just because I like to try everything once. I don't, however, want to build a $5000.00 dollar rifle. Since I don't have a lathe; my plan is to get an action and put a pre-fit barrel on it; such as a Pac-nor or Bergara. I am thinking Remington 700 or a clone.
I've bedded/free-floated a few rifles, done some trigger work, and mounted plenty of scopes, now I want to put the whole thing together.
Any input will be appreciated.
Pick up a cheap junker 700bdl at a pawn shop or gun show.

Send it to Kreiger to have them fit you a barrel to it. They'll true the action as part of the process if you ask them to and do the whole job for under 800.00.

Last edited:
You can buy a new Savage dual port target action for around $500-600 which includes the Accu-Trigger. The trigger can always be replaced down the road if you're not a fan.

This would be a great platform to start with if you don't have a lathe and want to build your own rifle.

Or, you could look for a Savage repeater and figure on chunking the stock, barrel, etc..

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts