Building a rifle off a savage 110 action?

Okay thanks. And does anyone have and cheap (under $300) glass options? I'll probably be using this from 300 yards on

I've read mostly positive reviews about the Diamondback HP. I just ordered one for $229 from cabelas 3-12x42, I don't have it in hand yet.

Not $300, but Midway has a clearance sale right on the Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50 for $520. The list is $789. It's $270 savings. Good deal I think.

Barrelnut! Nice username lol. Thanks for the input. I have 2 vipers (on my 300 and 7mm) and I really like them. But I don't want to spend a fortune on this gun. Yes I agree, it is a great deal. You seem like you know your stuff I've read on other threads, so how do you think a Simmons 44 Mag 6-24x44 would work on this?

Thanks. I'm just like a lot of folks, think I know what I'm talking about but whether I do is another matter. LOL

As far as the Simmons 44 Mag goes, I have one from the 80s that were made in Japan. Nice scope. --- But the new ones are made in China (Think Bushnell own Simmons now).

Don't follow the Simmons stuff so didn't know about the one you mention, but it certainly looks like a good value. Seems to have 1/8" turrets which should make for a very precise zero. Then the mil dots could be used for holdovers. Thing is, no one seems to know what power the mil dots are calibrated to and most state that 24x is not very useable. But the mil dots may well be calibrated at 18x which would work very very well. I see nothing wrong with trying one out. Get it from someplace like Amazon where you would have absolutely no issues returning it if it didn't work out. I would love to hear your review of it!

Nikon made a great scope the "Nikon Buckmasters rifle scope 6-18x40 side focus mil dot" they discontinued it a couple years ago. I have one on a .233 at it's awesome. It has side focus and the mil dots are calibrated at 12x with 1/8" adjustments. It was a $300 scope on Midway. They are still very popular and you can find a used one on Ebay sometimes. I would keep an eye out for one of these. Very good deal if find a used one. They have a couple of the BDC ones on Ebay right now, but I would try to hold out for one of the mil dot ones, if possible.
Link to a Nikon on ebay that sold:
Nikon Buckmasters Rifle Scope 6 18x40 Side Focus Mil Dot 018208064724 | eBay

Thanks. I'm just like a lot of folks, think I know what I'm talking about but whether I do is another matter. LOL

As far as the Simmons 44 Mag goes, I have one from the 80s that were made in Japan. Nice scope. --- But the new ones are made in China (Think Bushnell own Simmons now).

Don't follow the Simmons stuff so didn't know about the one you mention, but it certainly looks like a good value. Seems to have 1/8" turrets which should make for a very precise zero. Then the mil dots could be used for holdovers. Thing is, no one seems to know what power the mil dots are calibrated to and most state that 24x is not very useable. But the mil dots may well be calibrated at 18x which would work very very well. I see nothing wrong with trying one out. Get it from someplace like Amazon where you would have absolutely no issues returning it if it didn't work out. I would love to hear your review of it!

Nikon made a great scope the "Nikon Buckmasters rifle scope 6-18x40 side focus mil dot" they discontinued it a couple years ago. I have one on a .233 at it's awesome. It has side focus and the mil dots are calibrated at 12x with 1/8" adjustments. It was a $300 scope on Midway. They are still very popular and you can find a used one on Ebay sometimes. I would keep an eye out for one of these. Very good deal if find a used one. They have a couple of the BDC ones on Ebay right now, but I would try to hold out for one of the mil dot ones, if possible.
Link to a Nikon on ebay that sold:
Nikon Buckmasters Rifle Scope 6 18x40 Side Focus Mil Dot 018208064724 | eBay

Okay thanks Barrelnut! I'll let you know if I get the scope or not. And if Simmons is owned by bushnell, they should be pretty good!

I'll second the buckmaster, but you have to make sure it is the side focus. The new buckmaster II is not the one you want. Beware they do have a small FOV which may leave you wanting more for a varmint gun. I recently picked up my second 4.5-14x40 if that says anything.

I have that diamondback hp in hand today it I'm pretty impressed.

For a long range varmint rig the primary arms reticles are very intriguing. They have a genius design for fast ranging along w/ hold overs and illumination however I haven't had my hands on one yet.

I'll second the buckmaster, but you have to make sure it is the side focus. The new buckmaster II is not the one you want. Beware they do have a small FOV which may leave you wanting more for a varmint gun. I recently picked up my second 4.5-14x40 if that says anything.

I have that diamondback hp in hand today it I'm pretty impressed.

For a long range varmint rig the primary arms reticles are very intriguing. They have a genius design for fast ranging along w/ hold overs and illumination however I haven't had my hands on one yet.

Thanks for the info. I'll be looking into the options suggested

IIRC, Gohring3006, mtwarych, and Darkker (has the mildot) has PA scopes, maybe they'll chime in.

ADDED:

I have the 14 power side focus Buckmaster and love it for what it's for. It only has 50 MOA of adjustment so I use a 20 MOA base and Burris Zee rings and got to where most of my adjustment is free...
I will say it has nothing on my Primar Arms 4-14 ACSS HUDD. The Primary Arms is just as clear and it's 30 mm tube, front focal plane with 30 Mils of adjustment and a sweet Reticle. So it quickly passes my Buckmaster in performance...

[ame]https://youtu.be/SAwGcx-QHdc?t=191[/ame]

If it's for longer range the swfa fixed 10, 12, 16 ,20 have great turrets and decent glass for the price point. Fur friendly is going to be tough in a long action cartridge. The 6mmAI with a 14tw pushing the 75 vmax 3850 is Richard Franklin's pet caliber. Here is a good article about hog hunting with it.
The AI versions are better for the brass and the throats of both the 6mm and 243.
6mm Remington Ackley Varminter

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.