Building a 6.5 creedmoor from Savage action help

giannid

Well, I've decided to purchase a 6.5 creedmoor for my long range gun and none of the factory Savage rifles really do it for me. The 12 LRP is too heavy for hunting, I hate the camo stock on the predator max and don't see the need for the muzzle break on the long range hunter. So anyways, I'm thinking of buying a donor action savage and getting it rebarreled to a 6.5 creedmoor. Depending on what I find I obviously may need to get it restocked and a new trigger on it unless it has the accustock and accutrigger. I really like the Savage rifles and that's why I figured I should stick with since I'm familiar with. I know nothing about doing this so I have no Ideal what calibers/actions will work. Also, I'm not a gunsmith buy very mechanically inclined. What should I be looking for? Also, will a rifle with a magazine or hinged floor plate need to be switched over for the 6.5 creedmoor? What's the best bang for the buck as far as barrels go and how hard is it to switch one over? I figure a custom barrel will be better that a savage stock barrel for the most part. Would like to keep the cost of the rifle around $1000 or so. Thanks for your input.

Well ; it sounds like your off to a good start. I'm somewhat un familiar with the Savage actions compared to many on here. Any action set up for the 308 Win family of carts should feed well. Several companies make prefit Savage barrels. I reccomend a 1 in 8" twist. . I have a Boyd's laminate stock on my Creedmoor and I really like it.
What Glass are you planning on. There are lots of scopes out that are very nice but don't have a lot of adjustment range in the turrets. I went with SWFA SS Tactical scopes which have between 100 and 150 moa or mil equivalent of adjustment and so I don't need a canted rail yet.

I've got a Vortex Viper 4-16x50 pst ffp that I already acquired for the rifle. I'm not sure if I'll need a canted rail but probably don't plan on shooting to 1000 yards anyways.

I just put one together for my brother. I used a Stevens 200 , same action as a savage 10. I got a Shielen select match barrel and a Boyd's thumb hole stock. It was no trouble at all to put together. It out shoots my high dollar full custom 7mm WSM. I've already bought a doner gun and a stock and as soon as I can get a barrel here I'll have a 6.5 creedmoor as well. I will say if you use a Stevens action , plan on upgrading the trigger. There stock trigger isn't to good.

I built a 260 this summer off a savage model 10. It really is not that hard to do. Keeping it under a $1000 will depend on how much you can get a donor action for or just use one of the actions you have. There a few extra cost that you have to get for your 1st build that once you have reuse for future builds. Action wrench, go gauges, ect... Plus getting a new lug for the barrel. It starts to add up quick but is a lot of fun. My 260 with factory rounds is under moa. I have yet to put reloads on paper but they are ready to go and interested if I can get 1/2 moa.
I would guess I have between $1200-1400 in mine but I am happy with the way it turned out

I have built 6 now. The stock rifles shoot quite well so if you choose to go that route you can always get the predator and strip and paint the stock. I use cerakote, duracote, so far. Good stuff.

If you can find one, the Stevens 200 will usually be the least expensive donor. The receivers are all the same, long or short action is all in the magazine and bolt baffle. These parts can be changed out if going from one length to the other. The trigger will have to go, and I have two Savages now with RifleBasix SAV2 triggers in them, couldn't be happier. Boyds stocks will need a little fitting, but you need to bed whatever stock you chose anyway, so that's no big deal. You'll like that Viper, I have two of them as well.

If you use one of the long actions you can seat the vlds long and not have to worry about not fitting in the magazine.

I have built a few now and love them.
You will need the following:

1) A prefit barrel of your choice (I like Shilen Stailess steel select match) but there are others that are just as good. Cost around 335.00 You will need to find out if your action is a small or large shank.

2) You will need a barrel nut and recoil lug about 50.00 total. Again need to know barrel shank size.

3) Stock. I like HS PSV-118 stocks they are affordable and very easy to devcon bed. But again get what you would like. Wood is usually heavier than composite. about 360.00 up to 560.00

4) you will need and action wrench (60.00) and a barrel nut wrench (30.00)

5) You can just get a go gauge but to be safe get the go and no go gauge (60.00 total)

You dont have to worry about over all length of the case and bullet because the 6.5 Creedmoor will fit any magazine short or long that was won of the benifits of the Creedmoor. Make sure you know the action screw length of the action you are getting. You will easily find stocks for the 4.400 spacing. Both of mine I have put together costs around 2000.00 but of course I have a lot of pieces I wanted. On a budget you will be close. You will want a dbm action if you want it a box magazine or floor plate. Basically they are the same action just the fitted piece for the dbm and floor plate are different.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.