Building a LR gun off the shelf

RustyRick

I've got a new 7mm RM in the 26" Long Range Hunter. & a Vortex PST 6 X 24 X 50 FFP (ERB- 2C) to mount on it.

I hand load and hope to get out to the 1000 yrd.

My question is what kind on bases will I need to have enough room in the scope to reach that elevation (or distance) and shoot at 100 yds?

2. Might I need windage adjustable rear rings?

Here's what I recommend for your setup...Which I have these sams bases on everyone of my rifles. And these rings on several of them. The only reason they're not on all of my rifles is b/c they're not cheap. LOL

These are out of stock right now, but Midway usually gets stuff in pretty quick.

EGW 1-Piece Heavy Duty Picatinny-Style 20 MOA Elevated Base Remington

The Vortex has enough adjustment to get away with a 0 MOA base, if you don't want to wait for the 20MOA base to come in. But that's up to you. Here's the link to the 0 MOA base that is in stock.

EGW 1-Piece Heavy Duty Picatinny-Style Base Remington 700

Low height 30mm rings will fit perfectly for your rifle and that scope base.

Vortex Precision Matched Picatinny-Style Rings Matte

I use the same EGW rail mentioned above, but with Burris Zee rings with the offset inserts. Stress free, and I get to zero the scope without using the internal adjustments, keeping windage in the mechanical center and setting elevation zero so that my 1000 yardish shots are also in the mechanical/optical center. I don't know for certain if that helps, but it sure can't hurt...

2x on the EGW Rails. I have them on six rifles and they work great.

I prefer the TPS TSRW rings though over the vortex.

Go ahead and install a scope level while you are doing the rest. Vortex makes a fixed model that is priced very reasonably.

+++ on the EGW rail. It's all I use except on R700s where I use xTreme with bubble build in.

Rings, well so many choices. I have used everything from UTG QR (yes they work properly) to Warne and Tally. Vortex included. Mostly I go Weaver 6 screw. YYMV.

Thanks for the help guys! I say a guy with a 7mm Rem Mag and the PST scope using Browning intermediate height rings. He had trouble with the turrets knocking the empty spent case back into the action. He went to high mounts and things were OK.

The rail doesn't interfere with case ejection I guess or you'd have said so.

My EGW rail on my A-Bolt II hasn't given me any issues, but since I don't have your exact model rifle, I can't say for sure. But I don't imagine it being an issue, but I can't guarantee that.

I studied the afore mentioned EGW rail. Am I understanding that if I want to shoot 100 to 600 yrds I need a 0 MOA. And if I want to shoot 600 + yards I'll need the 20 MOA?

So I'll really need 2 rails?

I studied the afore mentioned EGW rail. Am I understanding that if I want to shoot 100 to 600 yrds I need a 0 MOA. And if I want to shoot 600 + yards I'll need the 20 MOA?

So I'll really need 2 rails?

If you plan on shooting more than 500 yards at any time, it's best just to go ahead and get the 20MOA to make sure your scope has enough travel.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.