Build or buy new rifle?

Elk11

Recently I have been bitten by the long range bug after shooting my boss' McMillan 338 Lapua at over 900 yards. I do not have the luxury of a large budget like that. So here is where I am at, I have set aside $2500 for a custom or semi custom rifle, I have settled on the 300 win mag since I already have dies, ammo, brass etc. I have a Remington 700 long action to use in the build if needed. I also already have a 4.5-14 Leupold to put on it.

I am going to use this rifle for hunting so it would need to be somewhat on the lighter side. Probably not looking to make shots on animals past 600 yards but would like to punch paper at 1000 yards some day.

I would like recomendations as to what is the best route to take. Thanks

You have an action and scope that will work already. Anyone who says 14 power isn't enough for 1k lacksdecent eye sight. I've shot 1k with a 10 power vx 3. My advice, buy a bell and carlson medalist in the style of your choice. I like the "m40" then get yourself a barrel from lilja, krieger, bartlein, etc. With your budget I'd say do a trigger upgrade to a timney 510.

All together
Barrel $375
Trigger $125
Barrel install $250 with action trueing
Stock $250
Precision recoil lug $30
Muzzle brake $200 installed
You wanna hunt with it, I suggest fluting $120

You're looking at $1350 right there and you're set for 1k shooting.

This is very similar to my build last year. I paid a little more for detachable mag system and cerakote. My guess if you got it fluted with a 26 inch barrel ( rem varmint contour) the entire package with scope would weigh in around 12lbs

Note that prices are approximate. You can save money here and there by watching for sales and the classifieds.

You have an action and scope that will work already. Anyone who says 14 power isn't enough for 1k lacks decent eye sight. I've shot 1k with a 10 power vx 3. My advice, buy a bell and carlson medalist in the style of your choice. I like the "m40" then get yourself a barrel from lilja, krieger, bartlein, etc. With your budget I'd say do a trigger upgrade to a timney 510.

All together
Barrel $375
Trigger $125
Barrel install $250 with action trueing
Stock $250
Precision recoil lug $30
Muzzle brake $200 installed
You wanna hunt with it, I suggest fluting $120

You're looking at $1350 right there and you're set for 1k shooting.

This is very similar to my build last year. I paid a little more for detachable mag system and cerakote. My guess if you got it fluted with a 26 inch barrel ( rem varmint contour) the entire package with scope would weigh in around 12lbs

Note that prices are approximate. You can save money here and there by watching for sales and the classifieds.

Recommend you let him build you one. I can't come anywhere near that price for a good custom built rifle.

Thats operating on the idea that OP already has a magnum long action with bottom metal on hand.

Purchased my kreiger for $365
Timney 510 for $116 shipped
B&c m40's have been floating around the classifeds for $250 really regularly. 275ish brand new
Badger lug from midway $28ish
My last custom rifle was a trued 700 by Snowy mountain rifle company in Missoula mt
They squared the action face and theads and installed the barrel for $275. Their muzzle brake was $100 and another $100 installed.

Last i checked lilja will flute one of thier barrels for $120. Its an additional option when ordering in the checkout menu. 360 for barrel 120 for fluting 15 for shipping. Figure $500 for a custom fluted barrel from them delivered.

Last edited:
I will always build before buying a long range rifle. You get much higher quality componets when you build.

The "buy once cry once" idiom is good to follow when building a rifle.

Dont sweat the small stuff. Let someone else spend there money on building custom rifles. They will get tired of it and decide to sell or have to sell because they got over extended for cash. Tax season is upon us and Uncle Sam will want his money. There will be plenty of rifles up for sale at a discounted price. Good luck with whatever direction you take.

Wow, this is my first time posting and I wasnt expecting all of the great feed back.

The action I have is a long action magnum. So it sounds like I can send the action to someone and have it trued and the new barrel installed, and then I just put it together myself. As for the stock I have been looking at bell and carlson, HS precision and Mcmillan. Redhawk has the Mcmillan on sale for $449 are they worth the extra money? I have never installed a new trigger how hard is that to do?

Thanks

Triggers are easy. 5 minutes on youtube and a couple of pins is all it takes. Redhawk always has some great deals and prices. That's where I got my timney for $109 plus shipping. I saw their sale on McMillan stuff and thought about buyin one just because its an awesome deal.

Wow, this is my first time posting and I wasnt expecting all of the great feed back.

The action I have is a long action magnum. So it sounds like I can send the action to someone and have it trued and the new barrel installed, and then I just put it together myself. As for the stock I have been looking at bell and carlson, HS precision and Mcmillan. Redhawk has the Mcmillan on sale for $449 are they worth the extra money? I have never installed a new trigger how hard is that to do?

Thanks

I think so, plus it will also translate into a higher valued rifle if you ever sell it. The game scout on their site is a slick stock but it may be a good idea to try and handle one first. The vert grip isn't for everyone, however I like mine esp on my magnum so I can pull my rifle firmly into my shoulder. I don't shoot a brake.

I was thinking about the McMillan classic. As for the barrel I would like one with a contour less than a sendero and one I can have fluted but not too light, what contour should I be looking at? I assume a 1-10" rate of twist, what rifling 5r or ? I would be staying in the 180 grain range for bullets since I will hunt elk, beer and deer with it.

Thanks

I was thinking about the McMillan classic. As for the barrel I would like one with a contour less than a sendero and one I can have fluted but not too light, what contour should I be looking at? I assume a 1-10" rate of twist, what rifling 5r or ? I would be staying in the 180 grain range for bullets since I will hunt elk, beer and deer with it.

Thanks

1:10 is gtg, that twist will take you well into the heavies. Any contour is acceptable, it just depends on factors such as weight goals, rate of fire, and velocity goals etc...

Any reason for fluting other than looks? B/c the smaller the barrel the less material to be removed = less of a weight factor and more of a cosmetic factor. I would take a look at bartlein contours such as #3 or #3b.

Rifling will require more expertise than I have, there are all kinds of claims vs reality. I have a 5R, but krieger and criterion 30cals are typically 4groove if there is any relevance to that. IMO pick any rifling on any premium barrel and you'll be happy.

If you're planning to put on a brake find out what the minimum muzzle requirements are. You don't want to find out the hard way.

I just went through a similar build. I can say that I will never buy a factory rifle again. Having it built to my exact specs was well worth the extra money. Your 700 action will work great. The standard Timney triggers work pretty good for a hunting rifle. I personally like the Timney Calvin Elite series triggers much better. They are a little more expensive, but they are a slimmer trigger that adjusts to lower weight and feels better to my finger. As far as barrels go, I really like Rock Creek barrels. They shoot great, break in easy and clean up really easy. There are a lot of other great barrel makers out there. I went with a #4 contour finished at 26". Stocks... well that is a matter of personal preference. I went with an HS Precision on this build. It is a good stock, except the recoil pad. They come with the ultramag recoil pad that is pretty stiff. I had mine changed out to a Kick Eez that made a huge difference in felt recoil. I think that you can easily build a great rifle for around $1600. Good luck with your build and welcome to LRH!

Turkeyfever is right ya know. But nothing like the stress and anticipation of building and getting your hands on your very own custom. Almost like holding a newborn for the first time.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.