Help the Newbie Build/Buy Rifle

Xtremetj

After alot of deliberation, I've decided to go with a 6.5x284 and have a budget of $1500 for the rifle alone (optics have already been purchased). Primary use for this gun is hunting, 500-600 yards max for deer & antelope and would like to learn to shoot longer distances on paper/steel out to 700-800 yards. I do not reload but my son does so it won't take much to get started (in my mind).

Can a gun smith put together a good rifle for that money or should I just buy the Savage Weather Warrior or Nosler Patriot?

If I have a gun smith put one together, what do you recommend for stock, barrel, action, etc. Who do you recommend for gun smith?

Thanks,

Greg

I'm new here, but was in a similar search not long ago. I came to the conclusion that for that price range I'd be better off with a Savage Long Range Hunter or Savage Predator. I went with the LRH in 6.5CM, but since it is a present from my wife I don't get to play with it until Christmas!

I really struggled between 6.5x284 and 6.5CM, I already have a very light .284 Win I reload for, but in the end went with the 6.5CM. I figure if I shoot out that barrel I can always step up to 6.5x284 and swap the barrel myself.

After alot of deliberation, I've decided to go with a 6.5x284 and have a budget of $1500 for the rifle alone (optics have already been purchased). Primary use for this gun is hunting, 500-600 yards max for deer & antelope and would like to learn to shoot longer distances on paper/steel out to 700-800 yards. I do not reload but my son does so it won't take much to get started (in my mind).

Can a gun smith put together a good rifle for that money or should I just buy the Savage Weather Warrior or Nosler Patriot?

If I have a gun smith put one together, what do you recommend for stock, barrel, action, etc. Who do you recommend for gun smith?

Thanks,

Greg

Greg,

Depending on your choice of components yes, here's http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/my-budget-270-ai-97745/ just to give you an idea.

I'd start with the site sponsor gunsmiths, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them ... many happy customers here.

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.