223 Varmint rifle, build or buy??

It doesn't matter what chambering you select. You are trying to do too much with one rifle. You are not going to get effective reduced loads for close in stuff and 600-1000 yard performance from the same rifle.

If you go with the .223, you will need something else to cover the 600-1000 yard portion of what you are after.

The reverse is also true.

Well, lets put it this way.. it would need to be first and foremost a long range hunting rifle. The ability to shoot the closer in varmints and rabbits would be its secondary (but still important purpose) I wouldn't expect sub MOA performance out of my close in shooting, but then again I don't expect that out of my standard 22lr either. I would be looking to be able to mimic the effects of a 22lr- 17wsm/22mag at the shorter ranges, with enough accuracy to hit a 1-2 inch diameter target at 100 yards (rabbit headshot).

I came across an article about Colonel Townsend Whelen who apparently used his M1903 Springfield 30-06 for everything from Big Game down to doves by using a similar method (light loads for small game, and heavy loads for big game)

It sounds like what you really want is a 243. This would retain the performance you want on both targets and small game to a much longer distance.

Can you go into a bit more depth of what the advantages of the 243 win would be over the 223 or the 308 for what I am looking to do?

Can you go into a bit more depth of what the advantages of the 243 win would be over the 223 or the 308 for what I am looking to do?

A 223 at the long ranges you quote will just be OK for shooting targets, but will absolutely suck if you are shooting even varmints at that range. A 243 retains enough energy to be effective at or past 600 yards, and actually delivers superior ballistics to even the 308. Yet it's small enough not to obliterate small game if you use a harder bullet that won't over-expand.

"Well, lets put it this way.. it would need to be first and foremost a long range hunting rifle."

The 223 simply is not a long range hunting rifle. A 243 starts to get you there. Move up to 30cals and you get further from your other objectives.

I agree, you are expecting too much from one gun. I gun that sort of does everything, sucks at everything.

Ok, then what about a 6.5 mm cartridge like a 260 rem; capable of 1000 yards, but could still load a light enough bullet for short range game kills? Maybe using some Trail Boss powder? Could I find a sweet spot where my 25yrd or 50yard point of aim on the light loads matched up with the heavier loads I would be carrying?

A 223 at the long ranges you quote will just be OK for shooting targets, but will absolutely suck if you are shooting even varmints at that range. A 243 retains enough energy to be effective at or past 600 yards, and actually delivers superior ballistics to even the 308. Yet it's small enough not to obliterate small game if you use a harder bullet that won't over-expand.

"Well, lets put it this way.. it would need to be first and foremost a long range hunting rifle."

The 223 simply is not a long range hunting rifle. A 243 starts to get you there. Move up to 30cals and you get further from your other objectives.

I agree, you are expecting too much from one gun. I gun that sort of does everything, sucks at everything.

Ok, then what about a 6.5 mm cartridge like a 260 rem; capable of 1000 yards, but could still load a light enough bullet for short range game kills? Maybe using some Trail Boss powder? Could I find a sweet spot where my 25yrd or 50yard point of aim on the light loads matched up with the heavier loads I would be carrying?

Seems you have your mind made up, so go ahead and try it. I think there is a reason the 223 crowd who wanted to shoot subsonic ammo created the 300 Blackout.

If you're gonna head shoot the rabbits you can pretty much use what you want. 22cal would be easiest on the wallet, but a 6mm or larger will be more fun at long range. I'd entertain the 6br, 260, 6xc, or 6.5cm. Light recoil for the kids with long range accuracy.

I've shot jacks w/ 22-250, its fun and it does turn them inside out but when head shot the rest is perfectly fine... minus the head.

I have shot a lot of coyotes with a 223, and with 40-62 grain bullets I really think 400 yards is about the edge of lethal range. Sure you can kill them much, much further but your going to wound and lose a bunch. Even a 22-250 at long range can leave a bit to be desired on coyotes at times.

I think I would be looking at a 243 or one of the 6.5's. IMO velocity is what really tears up the thin skinned critters. I haven't tested it but I really don't think a creedmore with a bonded bullet would make a mess of a jackrabbit.

See. The head just disappears

Attachments

• IMG_4760.jpg
    IMG_4760.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 52
I'm a Tikka homer, so take just about everything I'm going to say with a grain of salt.

I have two stainless T3 .223s, one a 10" twist and the other an 8", both 22 7/16" barrels. I bought both used. I've killed varmints waaay out there (approaching 600) with the 10. It shoots 50 grain anything embarrassingly well.

image_zpsta00mfgi.jpeg

It wears a Leupold FX3 12x40 AO with target turrets. My son named it Blue Lightning. I would have no qualms shooting varmints with it as far out as I could see. Wind plays hell on a light bullet, though.

image.jpg1_zpsupmbfwqw.jpg

I just bought the 8" to put together a more effective LR load using Nosler's 70 gr RDF bullet. I haven't shot it yet with the RDF but it shoots the 80 gr Custom Competition into little bitty groups. It also wears a Leupold FX3 12x40 AO with turrets.

IMG_0212_zpsgvx9pbex.jpg

It would be tough for one rifle to do everything you ask, but the 8" stainless T3 probably comes closest. Used T3s aren't hard to find.

P

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.