Build a rifle for sheep or bears?

Double OO buck, 12 gauge magnum slung over your shoulder. Very discouraging to a bear that has revealed its intentions of coming your way. Shorten the stock and the barrel for a little less weight.

A couple hunters had a griz come into their cabin. One guy unloaded a .44 magnum all six shot into the bear. The other guy plugged it with a couple rounds of buck shot. Then the first guy picked up a .338 Win Mag and fired. When they skinned it out they discovered the only bullet that made it through the fat was the .338 Mag bullet.

Forget the 00Buck and soft nose or hollow point bullets. The hunter killed a bear the next day with his .44 using hard cast bullets.

I know a lot of guys are carrying a 10mm Auto of some sort. That's what I'll be carrying when I'm archery elk hunting this year. The big revolvers are cool and sound nice but they're hard to shoot too.
I shoot 5/8" group of 5 outta my 454 Casull, Raging Bull. I took a Groundhog in the Head at 80 yards with the factory open sights. I've since topped her off with 4x Burris scope. The recoil isn't all that bad, it's the Left Twist that took getting used to. Now I feel completely comfortable in shooting it in any situation. 99% of the time, the GRIZZ will know you're there long before you know hes there. Go with enough gun in your rifle choice for the Sheep, but ifn I were you and you even think there's even a chance of an encounter with a Grizz, I'd **** sure be CERTAIN I had all the gun I could in my shoulder rig! A hungry, spooked or ****ed off Grizz is gonna come at YOU with one thing on his mind; I'd be CERTAIN in my mind that my handgun would stop a TANK! I never wanna be a STEAMING PILE of BEAR ****! Theosmithjr

Front carry,rifle way outpaces pistol,I was a member of MT state champs way back when with pistol,30-30 beats a 44 handgun Grizz live here :)
IMG_1272.JPG

Well...i think if I was on the bike i would has ****ed my shorts...the guy on the stand could have ****ed on the bear...
The bobcat and cub fight was awesome...and that big ol grizz didn't want to take a claw to the face or an eye....very smart to pass up on the fight....

Guy that worked for forest service many years,was killed last year,or year before.Riding his mountain bike on a gated road bout 17 miles from my house,surprised it.

9DB29C78-3C58-49D0-916A-747A75AA7CA1.jpeg
Build for Bears! All bullets drop so just know the drop.
I agree with this logic.

If you build a bear rifle and need it for sheep it's all good. If you build a sheep rifle and need it for bear...it could be your last sheep hunt.

I went to Kodiak Island a few years ago for Sitka Blacktail. I bought a Ruger Guide Gun in .375 Ruger. I shot a couple nice Blacktails with it, one out to 310 yards. I did see a few Kodiak Brown Bears too. Thankfully I only saw them while on our boat or the skiffs, never while I was hunting. We took a skiff up close to one though for pics. I'll have to say I felt a little under-gunned when we got close. Just sayin. But, I am from Michigan and we don't grow nothing that big around here. LOL.

Last edited:
One year I killed an average bull elk up a big hill and had to climb up there so I left my rifle and backpack where my 44 mag was, and met a grizz that ****ed all over my elk and ran down the hill to me and stopped just a few feet away from me.
Suddenly I remember feeling the 30-06 would little help and the 44 mag Smith&Wesson 29 would be less help.
I smelled his breath as he roared just a few feet from my face!
Take away from all that?
If in Grizz country hunt with the biggest rifle you own,and don't walk anywhere without it and if you carry a handgun you most likely won't have time to use it but if it makes you happy pack something BIG!
I shot a 475 Linebaugh once that would be my pick or maybe the Ruger 480.
If you ever get as close as I did you will understand why most leave their 6.5's home where Grizz live or have a lot of friends with big guns with you.
Just my 2 cents.
Old Rooster

(1994) Turpin Meadows - not far from Moran Jct. just outside of Teton N.P., we were hunting elk with horses. There was a little mud in Oct. and on the 3rd day, I was in the lead and saw big Grizzly tracks, and small bear cub tracks following. The Trotter Horse Sam sensed n smelled them but we did not see them. He was nervous and wanted to turn around n go back! - I had to discipline him up the mountain. Did not see to many elk but a bull moose. - I had my 700 .30-06 with 165-gr. Nosler Partitions in the scabbard, and Classic 29 in a cross draw. - Never saw the bears...