Build a rifle for sheep or bears?

I'm rethinking my plan, really hard to not build an ultra lite 6.5 or 270 since I've built quite a number of them for others, sheep hunting brings thoughts of high open scree slopes and there is a lot of that where I'm going BUT that's not where the rams are later from the info I've gathered, I'm hoping with our longer range capability we can maintain an excellent glassing and shooting position high.
I've cut my gear down to about 40 lbs with everything on me except the rifle for 7 days, which I was going to budget 5 lbs for but the desire to not become a bear chew toy is very high. I like the idea of a big pistol I guess mainly around camp while hunting I don't ever tend to sling a rifle, I don't have a rifle with a sling on it actually so I'm pretty confident with it but there are times your not going to have it in hand.

A fellow I worked with from down South years ago paid for an Alaskan Sheep hunt and took his old standby that never let him down,a Winchester pre 64 Model 70 in 270.He could group well out to 400 yards and felt his Nosler Partitions would easily take a sheep.
To get to a higher spot they had to walk through a small thicket that even the guide and other hunter and man to carry animals felt safe so they went through.
The Grizz came from his left and so fast he didn't have time to shoulder the rifle,he shot from the hip and struck the bear in the chest he thought.The other hunter and guide didn't have time to get a shot off as the bear scrapped the shooter with his paw and ran off.
Air lifted to hospital and around 40 stiches later he promised his wife to get life insurance and get a bigger rifle.After a week in the hospital he went home with a lot of bad memories.
Don't let that be you.I hope your guide is experienced.
Just my 2 cents
Old Rooster

Sounds like your experienced.
Be ready all the time.
It happens so fast you may not have time to get a shot off so always be on guard.
I have had 1 false charge(Many years ago) and the one I stated in above post.
2 Grizz encounters has made me over aware maybe.
If you smell the worst moldy smell you ever smelled be aware.
One game warden here in Montana said most of the time they want out as much as you do so give them a way out.
I wish you well bigngreen and a good hunt.
Just my 2 cents.
Old Rooster

it would be wise to pay attention to the guys recommending 338 and up rifle calibers. trajectory won't mean anything when you run into a big heavy angry griz, possibly with cubs. Pick one in an accurate rifle and practice, practice, practice. shot placement is key . Especially under pressure. Even with heavy calibers. The idea is to win the fight.

As to a sling....all my rifles have one...but i don't sling the rifle around on my back....
I shoot right eyed and trigger...when I am not packing my rifle in my hands I sling it over my left shoulder...rifle to the front barrel up....i rest my left hand really close to placement on the stock as if I am ready for a shot...it doesn't take a second for that rifle to come into position for a shot...never is that rifle to the rear of my body..and always have one in the chamber for just in case....and constantly checking to make sure the safety is in safe position...can also carry across the left shoulder hand on forearm and right hand grasping the rifle in position to shoot...

I am upgrading my rifle to a mountain rifle. I have been lugging a 13+ pound rifle up mountains and canyons for the last two years in Arizona. After coming home with bruises on both shoulders this year; I have decided to upgrade. Nosler Rifles has a Mountain rifle that weighs 6 lbs. in their calibers. I just ordered a Nosler M48 in 28 Nosler which will take about 4 weeks to have Nosler Build. I will top this with Talley rings and a Night Force 4X14 50mm F1 MOA scope. I reload so the brass and dies are already ordered. 5 lbs is a tough one; I also use a suppressor thus the want for a rifle with 5/8 X 24 threads. Good luck and happy trails from AZ.

A fellow I worked with from down South years ago paid for an Alaskan Sheep hunt and took his old standby that never let him down,a Winchester pre 64 Model 70 in 270.He could group well out to 400 yards and felt his Nosler Partitions would easily take a sheep.
To get to a higher spot they had to walk through a small thicket that even the guide and other hunter and man to carry animals felt safe so they went through.
The Grizz came from his left and so fast he didn't have time to shoulder the rifle,he shot from the hip and struck the bear in the chest he thought.The other hunter and guide didn't have time to get a shot off as the bear scrapped the shooter with his paw and ran off.
Air lifted to hospital and around 40 stiches later he promised his wife to get life insurance and get a bigger rifle.After a week in the hospital he went home with a lot of bad memories.
Don't let that be you.I hope your guide is experienced.
Just my 2 cents
Old Rooster

Maybe get a guy you don't like to walk point.

I'd go a bit heavier caliber...a reason 30 calibers are popular...300 WSM in a 22 in barrel make a lot of since in the north country...if I was to hunt desert sheep the rest of my day--a fine 6mm- through 6.5 caliber would meet my needs--but where I might run into a bruin..a 30 caliber makes a ton of since

(1994) Turpin Meadows - not far from Moran Jct. just outside of Teton N.P., we were hunting elk with horses. There was a little mud in Oct. and on the 3rd day, I was in the lead and saw big Grizzly tracks, and small bear cub tracks following. The Trotter Horse Sam sensed n smelled them but we did not see them. He was nervous and wanted to turn around n go back! - I had to discipline him up the mountain. Did not see to many elk but a bull moose. - I had my 700 .30-06 with 165-gr. Nosler Partitions in the scabbard, and Classic 29 in a cross draw. - Never saw the bears...

On handguns, I have and do own both revolvers (S&W, Ruger) and semi-autos (1911s & Glocks). My biggest handgun failure was from a lightly-used S&W Model 29 I had just purchased. We were fooling around at the range thinking up new matches. How about a big handgun match? We did that. On my last six full factory rounds of 60, the 29 lost timing and wouldn't fire another round. Scary when you can't shoot a paper target with a .44 Mag.
Be sure your handgun has been blessed by a trusted gunsmith.

So I go back and forth, I'm looking at hunting sheep in an area that is crawling with Grizzly, it's also an area that had a reputation as challenging to access, I have my gear list and I'm working in it and it's naturally ultra lite but then I come to the rifle!
I had a rifle planned out on paper that would be on the light side of stupid and probably chambered in a 6.5 SS, awesome on paper till I started thinking about the inevitable run in with bears

In areas with Grizzly or Brown Bear around, choose a cartridge that will satisfy your hunt needs but, will decisively persuade even the largest bear to quit breathing permanently! Personally, I wouldn't waste room carrying bear spray, unless local law requires it. Last thing I want is a can in my hands when I need my rifle! Better to have a good lawyer than a nice closed casket funeral...

I agree with the 181gr Hammers, in your favorite flavor of 300 Mag. With the proper bullet and placement, any of the 300 Mags will certainly anchor your sheep.

(1994) Turpin Meadows - not far from Moran Jct. just outside of Teton N.P., we were hunting elk with horses. There was a little mud in Oct. and on the 3rd day, I was in the lead and saw big Grizzly tracks, and small bear cub tracks following. The Trotter Horse Sam sensed n smelled them but we did not see them. He was nervous and wanted to turn around n go back! - I had to discipline him up the mountain. Did not see to many elk but a bull moose. - I had my 700 .30-06 with 165-gr. Nosler Partitions in the scabbard, and Classic 29 in a cross draw. - Never saw the bears...

We've hunted near Turpin Meadows a couple of times, no encounters.....but always prepared. We had the most bear activities in Sunlight Basin and west of Horse Creek just north of Dubois. Once when we were hunting NW of Dubois, a hunter from Washington St. was mauled in the same drainage we were hunting. His partner wounded it....we didn't know about the mauling until we were headed home and went thru the Game and Fish Check Station. Would've sucked to bump into a wounded, "****ed-off" bear!

We now hunt Grass Creek most years, a good grizzly population (and wolves), and occasionally see sign. The first year we hunted there (about 8 years ago), a hunter (again from Washington), about 3 miles away (as the crow flies) was run over by a grizzly. Seems he walked up on a sleeping grizzly, spooked the bear....and was standing in the bears chosen escape route. I'm guessing similar to getting hit by an NFL lineman with a "full head of steam"! He only got a cut on his hand....and likely "soiled" his drawers! memtb

Last edited:
Hey there guys, I'm new to longrangehunting - and I'm keen to give my thoughts on what to use on your sheep hunt.
With having hunted extensively here in NZ (no bears mind you) I've always tended to go heavier with my calibre - over kill is always better than under, especially when you're likely to bump into an animal that could eat you just because he can!