Budget long range scope

elk creek

What are the opinions or advice on the best scope for shooting up to 1200 yards or so? Money is definitely a factor as I am raising a family. Bushnell elite seems like a good option. Any others you would recommend?

I run SWFA 5-20 HD's on all my rigs and have mounted a dozen or so for friends. Have only bought one new during a Black Friday sale. All others I have bought used for 900 to 1000 shipped. Out of 17 or 18 scopes, I have yet to have one not pass a tall target and box test. Have twisted the turrets between 5 of them literally thousands of times on my personal rifles with no problems whatsoever. Love the milquad reticle and the glass more than adequate for hunting (primary use for me) and steel.

SWFA all the way. I'm waiting on a 3x15 SFP mil/mil $399.99

I've never even looked through a FFP scope, not sure I would like it.

I have a fixed 16 power SWFA and it's great! Tracks out standing!

IMO...the SFP for $399 can't be beat for the dollars spent!

Is there a scope under $600 that will be reliable?
This topic has been discussed quite a bit on here..
I personally would recommend the vortex viper HSLR, I bought the 4-16x50 for around $500.
Very nice scope in my opinion, and for the price it has some great features.
Really liked the turrets, and the zero stop shims are pretty awesome.
Moa reticle is nice as well, and the glass is about as good as a guy really needs..
Only thing I didn't like was the lack of magnification, I would recommend the 6-24

Been discussed lots yes, but it sure seems like we have been getting new products on the market faster than I can keep up with. I personally have had not much luck with a vortex 6-24. I really think the warranty is top notch but I never cared for the glass much in certain light conditions.

Yes sorry for the lack of information, under $1000.
I would consider buying one of the used scopes sold on this forum. Brand new some of this scopes go over $1000 dollars buying a used quality premium scope under your budget will still be much better than a brand new one under your budget. The distance you stated requires a premium scope or just be patient and continue to save. Since money is an issue don't throw it away on something that may not get the job done. Buy once and be done with it. If not a fixed 10x scope at your budget may do the trick.

For the price its hard to beat a SWFA 3-15X42 Scope. I know I like the one I have and my brothers is great. I have the SFP All MOA version. IMHO MOA is better then mills. For sure when you look at precision.

Same boat as you trying to figure out what to put on my new 6.5x284. A lot of good advice on here but one thing that sticks out is the advice of going to cabelas or someplace and looking through different brands and models in the price range you are after. I went yesterday and looked through all brands and various price ranges and no matter what anyone says you get what you pay for. I did not buy yesterday but I now know that I will save a little longer and buy what looked and felt best to me. If you know that you cannot wait or save the extra cash do not look through or touch the upper end models because you will be disappointed afterwards that you cannot purchase one of them. Decide first if weight is a factor, magnification will be your biggest expense factor obviously, mentioned earlier was the Leupold LRP , that would be my pic in that range but do yourself a favor and go look through them all yourself!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.