Beginners Guide To Long Range Hunting On A Budget By Jim See

ADMIN

Administrator
So where do we begin? let's assume you are a capable marksman, own a high power rifle capable of killing the game you seek at extended distance. I will also assume you have quality ammo that is consistent and up to the task. You have a scope on the rifle of at least 9 power with a resettable turret, or a holdover type reticle. We are talking budget and beginners here, fellas, so if this is factory equipment that's just fine. What we need to do is test the rifle, optics, and shooter. You need to find at what range you can put a bullet in the animal's vitals. Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Huskemaw 5-20 LR Scope Review, By Jim See. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

Jim- great write up. It's nice to see someone put something together to show others that you can take what you have and get into the sport.

My hat's off to you Jim... not one mention of having a specialized rifle built ---> written by a rifle maker no less... LOL! I thought for sure you would have a lengthy discussion on accurizing a model 700 at Centershot.

Good write-up. You hit the nail on the head with your statement about needing to spend more on practice than equipment. I only wish I had more time to shoot at sparrows, muskrats, grasshoppers, and even the occasional fence post (not suggesting to do that in front of dad ;) w/ a 22lr like I did as a teen. man those were the days! One can not stress the importance of trigger time enough!

Take er easy, Mark.

Thanks for the comments guys,

Ed, If you can aford it buy somthing you will grow into.

If your budget is low, the best money you could spend would be to find a used Leica 800, most guys set these aside and bought the 1200 when they came out, so you might find a deal on a 800. Mine was reliable out to 600-700 in our humid and dense WI air. Out west in mountain air I could get readings out to 900+ yards on pine trees and rocks. New they ran about $400, a used one in good condition should save you at least 25%.

Quote "your "friends" will shun you, and call you a liar." I had to chuckle when I read this part. It reminded me of the time I ran into my sons buddy while out coyote hunting near his house. We got to talking about the 'long' shot my son shot his antelope at out in WY. It seems his buddies didn't believe him, but I got to set the record straight. I've stopped talking about distances at work, you can just see the disbelief in their faces.
I have to add that the guy I ran into now has a specialty pistol made by Jim, a Savage Target action Neallam rear grip stock in 300 WSM. It sure is prudy too.
Jim has worked on several guns of mine and does great work and now I find out he can write too. ;-)
Good write up Jim!

its a good, short read. I like it. the main message, get out there and practice. I'm going to start shooting with the local tactical club as a means of practice. I like the idea of shooting "reactive" targets. Everybody likes to see stuff blow up!

Especially now that deer season is over, I think I'll spend more time in the woods practicing my shooting. The range is great, but such a controlled environment sometimes.

Nice reality check.

Great article Jim thanks for the advice I'm in the UK and just learning whilst I live on a farm I find limited 250 yards so I have joyend the local rifle club to give me experience and much free advice:)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.