Long range build on tight budget???

twoseventywin

Hey guys, first post!

I recently retired my savage as my primary deer rifle and would like to get into some "long range" target shooting. And by long range im only talking 300 to 500 yards since here in south east Ky 100 yards is a loooooong shot on a whitetail. I recently started handloading and would like to work up some loads and see what I can hit that far out. My rifle is a bone stock Savage 110 .270Win Accu trigger synthetic stock. I know i need a good scope, which I dont have cause the only one I have is on my Marlin now. Do I really need to sink a lot of money into this gun as far as barrel changes and stocks?

All of my guns are factory with the exception of some trigger work. Browning A bolt, two Savages and a Rem. All of the shoot 1/2 moa or less. I would recomend a quality scope. I use the Nikon Monarch. Very clear pulls in light very well and the clicks always move the exact amount.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.