Bryan Litz joins Berger Bullets

I'd rather not share any more details of the design until the bullets are available.
Sorry.

Congrats Bryan on your position with Berger.

Well I hope once these 338 VLCs are produced that they turn out to be a kick-*** bullet. If they shoot and perform as well as the other VLDs then I think Berger will compete very favorably with Sierra's 300 gr MK. I know I plan on trying them out in my 338 Edge.

I'd rather not share any more details of the design until the bullets are available.
Sorry.

I understand. Thank you. I'm just still trying to wrap my feeble mind around the idea that a 1.9" .338 bullet will stabilize in a 1/10 twist. I may be ordering a .338 barrel soon with this bullet in mind so I'd sure like to know for sure. However, I realize that no one knows for sure right now. Good luck on the project and thanks again. We're looking forward to the outcome! Jon

Jon,
1:10" is actually pretty fast for a .338.
Consider the twist required to stabilize the heaviest bullets for smaller calibers.
(These are approximate numbers)
.224" caliber 80-90 grain bullets: 1:7.5"
.244" caliber 115 grain bullets: 1:8.0"
.264" caliber 140 grain bullets: 1:8.5"
.284" caliber 180 grain bullets: 1:9.0"
.308" caliber 240 grain bullets: 1:10"
.338" caliber 300 grain bullets: ;)

See the trend? 1:10" is pretty quick for .338; you can stabilize a lot of bullet.

Good luck with your new build,
-Bryan

jmden,

Are you finally getting tired of them 240 gr. 'itty bitty' bullets in 0.308 caliber and now you want to shoot the barely bigger 338's? :D :D :D

Just kidding my friend!!! I also, God willing, some day I would love to have a 338... Edge? Allen Express? Allen Magnum? I think either one would make me happy!

Good luck with your build!

jmden,

Are you finally getting tired of them 240 gr. 'itty bitty' bullets in 0.308 caliber and now you want to shoot the barely bigger 338's? :D :D :D

Just kidding my friend!!! I also, God willing, some day I would love to have a 338... Edge? Allen Express? Allen Magnum? I think either one would make me happy!

Good luck with your build!

I think I may have a bad case of 'bigger is better'! Hah! While that may be true, I believe after 1000+ round down the 300RUM tube, I'm starting to lose accuracy. I'd like to be comfortable taking elk at 1000+ and want a big .338 for some more frontal area and overall energy. Just need it in a packable size and weight! I'm back in the wilderness on my own two legs! Hopefully this 300 Berger will be a little bigger than 'itty bitty'! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts