Video of Bryan Litz talking Load Development and Reloading Practices

Mram10us

Chuckrub(a member here) posted this in a thread and thought it deserved more attention. Gavin does a good job getting Bryan to talk about load development and reloading practices that affect us all. Start at the 14:30 mark and go thru about the next 5 minutes for the short version. All of it is good though

Interesting takeaways:
1. Chamfering flash holes - no difference
2. Case fill of powder didnt matter
3. G7 rather than G1
I quit chamfering flash holes shortly after I began I saw no improvement there myself I always run a G7 rather than a G 1 because it more closely resembles the bullets I shoot but I thought Case fill was more important apparently I am wrong

Interesting takeaways:
I wonder though, if they did this with Lapua brass, one wouldn't expect there to be a difference or even a need to do anything to the flash holes. However, I have had some pretty rough brass in the past of lesser quality that had large chunks of brass come out after knocking down the flash hole burrs.

I wonder though, if they did this with Lapua brass, one wouldn't expect there to be a difference or even a need to do anything to the flash holes. However, I have had some pretty rough brass in the past of lesser quality that had large chunks of brass come out after knocking down the flash hole burrs.
Good question. Ive never compared Lapua flash hole tabs to other brass.

Interesting takeaways:
2. Case fill of powder didnt matter
3. G7 rather than G1
4. A lot of sorting methods arent needed

He also made mention that seating depth mattered more to him than powder charge. I've never seen dramatic results from seating depth test but I'm going to investigate them in more detail now.

John

But before people take it as gospel, there needs to be an understanding of that key distinction (drilled vs punched brass). Their test would have only really been relevant if tested with rough punched brass.
Very true. Not sure what all brands of brass they used for their testing. Be cool to know

Since Nammo now owns Berger and Lapua. I'm pretty sure Litz is speaking about using those products. Since he basically works for them.
No one needs to deburr flash holes or sort Lapua brass or Berger bullets.
Give him some Winchester brass and ELD-X bullets and he might think differently. ;)

Either I have all Lapua brass prior to them being stamped or they must clean them up in house then. Every piece of Lapua brass I have has been smooth as a babies rear...
Yes, they pay attention to their dies. I too thought they were drilled, but I spoke with the Lapua rep some time ago, and he confirmed they were punched.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.