Berger Bullets

MT257

I have read through the forum on how to get the most accuracy out of your Berger VLD. My question are they really that finicky of a bullet to get to shoot accurately? And has anyone one used a IMR 7828, IMR 4350, H4831, or H4350 with the 190gr. VLD in 30 cal.? I just purchased the Remington 700 long range in a 300 Win Mag and have thought about working up a load with this bullet.

257, try the custom search top right. There are a great deal of loads for the 300WM. Be sure to try the famously accurate "Broz" load for Bergers and the 300WM. Good luck

257, try the custom search top right. There are a great deal of loads for the 300WM. Be sure to try the famously accurate "Broz" load for Bergers and the 300WM. Good luck

lightbulb+1! Excellent tool yet under-utilized. lightbulb

ADDED: I did not experience the "finicky" problem that others have experienced. I harvested a MT bull elk in with 190 VLD at 931 yards with it in 2013.

Got to agree with AZShooter on 215 over the 190. I'm currently refining my 215 load for my .300 WSM with RL-17.

Last edited:
If you haven't purchased the 190 VLDs then consider buying the Berger 215 match hybrid target bullets instead. They have a higher BC and are incredible performers and far easier to use in making a load.

In my experience hybrid bullets are not finicky as to where they are seated. In fact many of the loads I have developed never required any seating depth changes. I just seated to fit and feed from magazine and worked up a powder charge.

The 215 as mentioned above is the bullet Broz used for this well documented season with over 20 kills. Don't let the "recommended for target not suitable for hunting" statement on the box scare you off, these bullets as well as the 230 match target hybrid are awesome on game.

This link starts on page 14 with the first elk taken. It is very long thread. Read the entire thread and I think you will agree it is THE 300 win mag bullet to use.

Broz's load is 79 gr of H1000. I recently helped a friend with his 300 win mag. 26" barrel with 80 gr of H1000 yielded a very accurate 2898 fps.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/comparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/index14.html

They are in stock here: 100 count Bullets.com

250 count Bullets.com

I agree with everyone on going with the 215. Pick up some 215's and H1000 with FED GM215M primers. You won't be disappointed.

Guess I should have asked questions and done my homework before buying the 190's.

I have read through the forum on how to get the most accuracy out of your Berger VLD. My question are they really that finicky of a bullet to get to shoot accurately? And has anyone one used a IMR 7828, IMR 4350, H4831, or H4350 with the 190gr. VLD in 30 cal.? I just purchased the Remington 700 long range in a 300 Win Mag and have thought about working up a load with this bullet.
MT257,
Go to our website. And on the home page under the INFORMATION tab click on TECH TALK in the drop down and read Eric's article "VLDs making them shoot". You want to do this seating depth testing at the lowest powder charge listed for the bullet/powder/cartridge combination you are testing. Once you find the seating depth accuracy node then work your load back up checking your accuracy and for pressure signs as you go up. If you are short on time the 215s as suggested may be the way to go this time. But you always need a "back up". Wait till you have time and do the test above with the 190 VLDs. It will add to your reloading knowledge and give you another "go to" Round in a pinch. As always we are here to help. Thanks for using our bullets!

I agree with barefoot66, seating depth is an important part of making these bullets work. If someone just loaded them and had good luck then they are fortunate or are sacrificing the extreme accuracy that these bullets will deliver. Work up your loads as he states and you will be happy.

I have to agree with Azshooter he made a believer out of me 215 or 230 great berger bullets for 30 cal elk killing. H1000, 215 primers and go to work great recipe

Well finally loaded up some 190gr VLD test loads for my 300 Win Mag. last night and was able to go out and shoot this morning. Results are more than acceptable! Now Ill have to fine tune to see what charge the gun likes best.
This was the first group I shot, I didn't think I could get much better than this with a three shot group.
IMG_0866.jpgIMG_0867.jpg

Then I shot this group and had to do a double check on the actual group. I have never shot that good of a group before! The first pic is on the board, and second one is after I flattened the target out. I am glad I followed the guidelines Berger put out on the VLDs.
IMG_0868.jpgIMG_0869.jpg

Well finally loaded up some 190gr VLD test loads for my 300 Win Mag. last night and was able to go out and shoot this morning. Results are more than acceptable! Now Ill have to fine tune to see what charge the gun likes best.
This was the first group I shot, I didn't think I could get much better than this with a three shot group.
View attachment 51641View attachment 51642

Then I shot this group and had to do a double check on the actual group. I have never shot that good of a group before! The first pic is on the board, and second one is after I flattened the target out. I am glad I followed the guidelines Berger put out on the VLDs.
View attachment 51643View attachment 51644
MT257,
Great! If I am reading the target orientation correctly the vertical dispersion is practically nothing and that is want you want to see.

Yea, sorry somehow I rotated the fourth picture it should be rotated 90 degrees clockwise. There is really no vertical dispersion. I again will shoot these two loads and see which is the best of the two and take that load then play with charge a little bit. I think if I decide to lug this heavy gun around I should have one heck of a hunting round.

Yea, sorry somehow I rotated the fourth picture it should be rotated 90 degrees clockwise. There is really no vertical dispersion. I again will shoot these two loads and see which is the best of the two and take that load then play with charge a little bit. I think if I decide to lug this heavy gun around I should have one heck of a hunting round.
MT257,
I agree. If you are going to carry this rifle out in the field I suggest you take long walks with something that is the same or heavier weight attached to you to get you in shape for lugging this rifle around out in the field.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.