Browning X Bolts

TIMNEY TRIGGERS AND X-BOLTS:
If you install a Timney trigger in your X-bolt you LOSE the bolt lock and the open-while-on-safe feature.
I would never trade an "unlocked bolt" for a 1/2 lb. lighter trigger pull unless the trigger was a 5 pound pull.

Browning gives you a 2.7 to 3.2 lb. trigger pull depending on the gun. That should be food for hunting purposes.
If you are competing then I'd understand installing a Timney. OR if you had a RUGER American (which has NO bolt lock!) I'd understand it because I have installed a Timney on a RUGER American Predator.

If you install a Timney trigger in your X-bolt you LOSE the bolt lock and the open-while-on-safe feature.
I would never trade an "unlocked bolt" for a 1/2 lb. lighter trigger pull unless the trigger was a 5 pound pull.

Browning gives you a 2.7 to 3.2 lb. trigger pull depending on the gun. That should be food for hunting purposes.
If you are competing then I'd understand installing a Timney. OR if you had a RUGER American (which has NO bolt lock!) I'd understand it because I have installed a Timney on a RUGER American Predator.
Don't need a bolt lock if you always shooting from bags.

Not to hijack this Xbolt thread to talk triggers but neither one of my Xbolts adjusted down anywhere close to 3.2 lbs and were very creepy. After my gunsmith worked on them they are 3.25 and 3.5 lbs. These are hunting rifles and I like bolt lock and open on safe feature.

Guess everyone has different tastes. I hunt off my back porch across 500 yards of open pasture. Shots are long rifle sits in bags on a bench. Match grade trigger is most important to the way I "hunt".
If I was still hunting the mountains then I would want a safer, heavier trigger too.
By the way, the Timney goes up to 4 pounds still breaks like ice.
Good Huntin.

I agree for a hunting rifle and the bolt lock was one of the many reasons that I bought an xbolt. However, I've found myself not using the unlock button that much. I guess it's habit but I usually just flip the safety off to unlock the bolt and unload the round in the chamber.

I do really like the xbolt though and was able to adjust my factory trigger to just under 3 lbs without issue.

I agree for a hunting rifle and the bolt lock was one of the many reasons that I bought an xbolt. However, I've found myself not using the unlock button that much. I guess it's habit but I usually just flip the safety off to unlock the bolt and unload the round in the chamber.

I do really like the xbolt though and was able to adjust my factory trigger to just under 3 lbs without issue.
Overall I love my Xbolts. Only the triggers do I have a problem with. I need a match quality trigger so that I can max out my range and accuracy.
My stand is a bench on my back porch. My feeder is 525 yards across open pasture on the far side of the creek.
Deer and hogs are plentiful herein East Texas and so I eat lots of pork and a little venison.
No longer to hike over the mountains I have had to improvise but still enjoy my days on the porch.
God bless all.

Overall I love my Xbolts. Only the triggers do I have a problem with. I need a match quality trigger so that I can max out my range and accuracy.
My stand is a bench on my back porch. My feeder is 525 yards across open pasture on the far side of the creek.
Deer and hogs are plentiful herein East Texas and so I eat lots of pork and a little venison.
No longer to hike over the mountains I have had to improvise but still enjoy my days on the porch.
God bless all.
I'd guess that puts you in a different situation than most using the rifle for hunting then. Needing a better trigger makes perfect sense to me in your case. My dad hunts in a similar fashion the last few years. He sits in his recliner while watching the ball games on his big screen TV and keeps an eye on his feeder in the edge of the woods some 100 yards away. Whatever works, dead deer equals full freezer.

My triggers were pretty darned good to begin with. I put in the Mcarbo spring and got them to about 2.25. Just where I like them.
I had a couple rifles with Timneys and my current custom has one... I don't see it (feel it) being any better than the X-Bolt triggers with the Mcarbo springs. Maybe I got lucky.

My triggers were pretty darned good to begin with. I put in the Mcarbo spring and got them to about 2.25. Just where I like them.
I had a couple rifles with Timneys and my current custom has one... I don't see it (feel it) being any better than the X-Bolt triggers with the Mcarbo springs. Maybe I got lucky.
Maybe but I have used Mcarbo springs on other brand rifles and they work. They have a video that explains the process on the x-bolt and for that price and an hour's time I don't see a downside to giving it a try unless someone just likes to **** away cash!

I have a Hells Canyon in 300wsm and love it. I did not like the factory trigger though. Its been a while so I don't remember completely but I don't think there were aftermarket full trigger replacement options. You can either loosen up the small screw that puts tension on the sear spring or replace it if you can't get enough adjustment out of it for very little $$. Link to the spring is below:

If you're wanting to put a can on the end, you might have to cut a couple inches off of the muzzle and rethread. Browning has an odd thread pitch and most suppressor companies don't make a break or direct thread option that is compatible. I needed to cut about 1.5" off of mine so that there would be enough barrel for the break to seat up against nicely after rethreading.