Browning X Bolts

When I decided on a 6.5 PRC X-Bolt Pro it was largely because of the low (6 lbs. 3 oz.) weight and my experience with Browning's high quality. But I learned that its stainless steel barrel and action were extras as well as factory barrel lapping. That meant I didn't have to fire lap it myself as I did on a previous .300 Win. mag. A- Bolt and other hunting rifles.

My barrel cleans with very little copper fouling after 40 or 50 shots. This is due to the factory barrel lapping.

When I decided on a 6.5 PRC X-Bolt Pro it was largely because of the low (6 lbs. 3 oz.) weight and my experience with Browning's high quality. But I learned that its stainless steel barrel and action were extras as well as factory barrel lapping. That meant I didn't have to fire lap it myself as I did on a previous .300 Win. mag. A- Bolt and other hunting rifles.

My barrel cleans with very little copper fouling after 40 or 50 shots. This is due to the factory barrel lapping.
So the Pro barrels/actions are SS?

Here's what I like about the X-bolt:

Light weight and slim handling (in the models I buy)
Factory cerakote
Some factory threaded 5/8x24 for suppressor
Fit of the stock and the nice palm swell
60 degree bolt lift
Detachable magazine makes quick loading/unloading
8 scope base screws vs 4
Nice recoil pad
Tang safety
Tons of different models to choose from
Good to decent accuracy

Here's what I don't love:

Triggers won't adjust low enough (I solve this with Timney triggers but that does add some money to the package)

No aftermarket and even removing a barrel can be an adventure/no-go.

Even though there are tons of models, it can be hard to find the one you want.

Overall the pros outweigh the cons for me, so I like them.

Here's what I like about the X-bolt:

Light weight and slim handling (in the models I buy)
Factory cerakote
Some factory threaded 5/8x24 for suppressor
Fit of the stock and the nice palm swell
60 degree bolt lift
Detachable magazine makes quick loading/unloading
8 scope base screws vs 4
Nice recoil pad
Tang safety
Tons of different models to choose from
Good to decent accuracy

Here's what I don't love:

Triggers won't adjust low enough (I solve this with Timney triggers but that does add some money to the package)

No aftermarket and even removing a barrel can be an adventure/no-go.

Even though there are tons of models, it can be hard to find the one you want.

Overall the pros outweigh the cons for me, so I like them.
They have a bolt lock/release button also, which I like.

X-Bolt is a beautiful rifle and if you get the light model, and it shoots good for you, then you have something good that is not usually obtained at that price. I too would try MCarbo kit springs before wasting money on a new trigger. MCarbo I have used in many different models and they always deliver what they claim. Nice bunch of veterans, they are.

Browning makes their X-Bolts now so MCARBO springs can't be installed. :eek:( I guess they may have thought the ability ti install lighter springs to be a kind of liability.
BUT... mine may be a low enough serial number the I could install one. EXCEPT... my trigger averages 2.8 pounds on my Wheeler digital trigger gauge. Good enuf fer huntin'.

Browning makes their X-Bolts now so MCARBO springs can't be installed. :eek:( I guess they may have thought the ability ti install lighter springs to be a kind of liability.
BUT... mine may be a low enough serial number the I could install one. EXCEPT... my trigger averages 2.8 pounds on my Wheeler digital trigger gauge. Good enuf fer huntin'.

Do you know the serial number cutoff?
Or know where it can be found?
I've been considering the mcarbo spring.
Thanks!

There's a new browning out (or coming out?) that looks like its got a heavier receiver, and heavier barrel, and uses AICS magazines instead of the browning ones for more capacity. I'd be super keen on trying one of these out.

There's a new browning out (or coming out?) that looks like its got a heavier receiver, and heavier barrel, and uses AICS magazines instead of the browning ones for more capacity. I'd be super keen on trying one of these out.
This one?

F57925CB-D1E4-4460-A7EF-D2012C54568B.jpeg

Recent Posts