Brass question

cornstalker

I was given some ".338 Win" brass that is actually .30-338 WW brass. It appears to be in reasonable condition.

My question:
Do y'all feel it's worth necking back up to .338 and using it?

Moreover than the issue of it being cheap brass, I am wondering if it physically compromises the brass to stretch it back up.

find someone to trade brass with, .338 win mag brass is readily available and inexpensive.

Last edited:
Well thanks, but I could never trade off an item that I can't guarantee the condition of. I haven't tried seating a primer or anything.

To me the options are give it away, throw it away, or use it.

I have never annealed brass. Do I do it in the order stated? Anneal, then resize it?

If I understand correctly, annealing softens work hardened brass, right?

Corn - Where abouts in CO are you located? I anneal and would be more than happy to anneal your brass after you neck it back up. Let me know.

Kevin

I am in C.Springs. Thanks for the offer. I reckon I had better learn to do it myself, as I have a 6mm284 and a 6.5x284 on the way. Might hit you up for a lesson....:)

Am I supposed to neck up, then anneal?

Since you don't know how many times the brass you were given have been fired, I would suggest annealing them before doing anything with them. After necking them up to 338, you can anneal them again if you prefer but really wouldn't be necessary.

Kevin

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.