Brass question

Yes. Every single time. And then there are small differences until the 2nd or 3rd firing.
Pretty much what I am seeing. I guess the minor difference between new brass shape and the fully resized brass makes more difference than I ever really expected. At 100yds almost nothing but at 500 yds there is some change.

I would say that on some of my rifles, mainly the custom chambered ones with minimum SAAMI spec chambers there is a difference in accuracy between new or once fired. The factory chambered rifles show less variation but some show more than others, chamber size and initial brass size is very important, loading practices/methods become very important with repeat reloading also.
BB

I would say that on some of my rifles, mainly the custom chambered ones with minimum SAAMI spec chambers there is a difference in accuracy between new or once fired. The factory chambered rifles show less variation but some show more than others, chamber size and initial brass size is very important, loading practices/methods become very important with repeat reloading also.
BB

I have a 7RM that was chambered at Krieger. My new Nosler brass and older multiple fired brass was tight in the neck and shoulders would not uniformly fire form. Accuracy was 3/4" on most groups. Since discovering the neck issue and head to shoulder datum variation, annealing and neck turning tightened the groups to 3/8 to 1/2" at 100 yds. So, dimensional inspections of brass revealed some inconsistencies in multiple fired brass and new brass once fired. The mags are the worst for headspace until they completely and evenly fire form in one chamber. Annealing was the best thing for my situation.

I have a Savage 10 Predator Hunter in .243 Win, shoots one hole with new Lapua brass, but cannot achieve same accuracy with anything besides that, I've tried everything from from full length with same neck tension as new ect, to neck size only, tried adjusting load, wouldn't shoot fired brass as good, haven't figured out why yet, I only use it for hunting now and and just use new brass, as it shoots so well with that load, but I have quite a stash of once fired Brass now.

Anyone seen a noticeable difference between new brass vs fired full length resized brass on your groups?
Very minimal.
New brass would be SAAMI spec & FL sizing dies are designed to bring it back to SAAMI spec so imo there would be little in it.
Anyway other than Lapua brass I always FL size new brass anyway.

This will get any dings out & bring me to a uniform starting point!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.