Brass question

Very minimal.
New brass would be SAAMI spec & FL sizing dies are designed to bring it back to SAAMI spec so imo there would be little in it.
Anyway other than Lapua brass I always FL size new brass anyway.

This will get any dings out & bring me to a uniform starting point!

I have never really compared new brass from once fired or more until this time. At 100yds I never saw a real differences. But this time I shot several groups at 500yds with new and once fired, the once fired avg. 2" higher at 500yds with same charge.

I have never really compared new brass from once fired or more until this time. At 100yds I never saw a real differences. But this time I shot several groups at 500yds with new and once fired, the once fired avg. 2" higher at 500yds with same charge.

Yeh for sure, I wasn't disputing that there wouldn't be a difference at all & the more distance is going to show that.
So your once fired brass was FL sized?
you didn't specify?
Also as I mentioned Id be FL sizing the new brass anyway so unless its a different brand of brass your FLS brass & the new FLS brass will be pretty dam close @100y but again at a distance like 500 its going to show any real difference.

Myself I mostly neck size to reduce stress on the brass & to keep as close to fire formed as possible for as long as possible, when I do FL size I bump the shoulder back by just 1 to 2 thou only so I try to make the POI/group as close to the FF case as possible.
At 100y again doesn't seem to be a real difference but at 500/1000y it could be a 1-2 moa difference I guess.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts