Brass question.

kc

I have never had this problem so I could use some input.
When I run my 7MAG brass through the dies I find some that telliscope or ripple in the neck area.
I lube the neck with RCBS brass lube and all the openings have been chanferd to remove all dents inside and outside. When I place my Bullets in they all are Boat Tails eather Nosler or SSTs.
the Brass is checked and the dies are lubed also.

1. make sure the relief hole in the die is unobstructed. If the die can't relieve the trapped air when it sizes, it will cause deformities in the shoulder area.

Wax type lubes, if used in large quantities will clog the vent hole regularly, one reason I like One Shot. No clogging.

2. Use any case lube sparingly. Too much lube (which is thinly disguised release agent) will cause pressure pockets in the shoulder area and deform them.

We just had a discussion about case lubes on here. My preference (I'm a minority it appears) is Hornady One Shot in a ziplock bag with 50 cases or so. Make bread for a minute or two in the bag with a good shot of One Shot and take 'em out and let dry and then size.

Lots of guys on here like Imperial Sizing Wax. never tried that.

1. make sure the relief hole in the die is unobstructed. If the die can't relieve the trapped air when it sizes, it will cause deformities in the shoulder area.

Wax type lubes, if used in large quantities will clog the vent hole regularly, one reason I like One Shot. No clogging.

2. Use any case lube sparingly. Too much lube (which is thinly disguised release agent) will cause pressure pockets in the shoulder area and deform them.

We just had a discussion about case lubes on here. My preference (I'm a minority it appears) is Hornady One Shot in a ziplock bag with 50 cases or so. Make bread for a minute or two in the bag with a good shot of One Shot and take 'em out and let dry and then size.

Lots of guys on here like Imperial Sizing Wax. never tried that.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.