Brass prep

I always deprime my brass with a universal depriming tool before sizing and the anneal and then tumble in a media tumbler. The reason for depriming the brass first is to help clean the primer pockets out while the brass is getting tumbled. I use the universal depriming tool because I do not want to start the resizing or neck sizing process "until" the brass is annealed. I always anneal my brass, even if it is brand new and out of the box. I believe that his is a process that I "know" was done properly, and....usually speaking I am not a fan of reloading my brass numerous times before chucking it because "usually" after two or three reloads it has had it, the primer pockets are starting to loosen and I prefer to use new brass all over again. Maybe some day I will be buying a premium brass like Nosler or Lapua, but haven't pulled that pin yet. After deprimed, annealed and cleaned/tumbled I ream the primer pockets with a primer reamer that I put in my portable drill to make the reaming easier ( they cost around $10 from Brownells), then I full length resize the brass with the expander ball/ball left out of the die. After full length resizing I lubricate the inside of the case necks with a graphite lubricant using an acid brush or modeler's paint brush, I then neck size the brass with a Sinclair mandrel neck sizing mandrel die (cost is around $50 for the set up), then I debur the flash hole with an RCBS flash hole deburring tool ($20 from Brownells/or...shop around for better price), trim the brass to the same overall length, then chamfer the case neck inside and out. If you choose to turn the necks do them after neck sizing and then chamfer the mouth of the case inside and out. If you have a chance try neck sizing a casing that has been annealed against one that has not been annealed you will be able to feel the difference in the amount of pressure needed to do the operation. For annealing I use the salt bath method, there will/is a lot of controversy as to what is a better process for annealing, however I find my set up works, and it costs around $120 to get set up opposed to other methods that can run $700+. I would also suggest that you go back into this forum and do some searching/researching on the processes that I have written about, there's a whole lot more "specific" information on the topics that I have written about here that will give more specifics on what I have suggested. And.........if you decide you would like to reload for a wildcat cartridge, that is another whole chapter. Keep asking questions as that is how you will learn. You are on a good forum with good knowledgeable people who are more than willing to help out. And.....one more suggestion I try to make is to try and find an experienced mentor to help you through the learning process and then build on that experience/knowledge and then develop your own. Good luck with the reloading.
Alibiiv, you suggest that neck turning be done after neck sizing. Would you explain the reasoning? My thought would be to turn before neck sizing (but after trimming to length since my turner registers off case length), since I would want to use the correct bushing when neck sizing, and turning first would change the neck diameter the bushing can affect. What are your (and other readers') thoughts on that? thx

You don't own an annealer? I am sure you have a cake pan, Water, Maybe not a propane torch. A short trip to Lowe's will take care of that. Stick the case neck end up out of the water. Water being about 2/3 up the case. Have a screwdriver to push the case over after heating it. Leave room between the cases to allow for the case to fall over. Heat the case on the neck to it get about orange in color, not more, Move the torch around some to heat the entire neck up, then push over. ANNEAL!!! It's quick and simple. You can de-prime the case, but only with a de-prime die. No resizing at that point and time. Dry the case and you are ready to move on. It not hard, and you will get the hang of it quickly. You will add life to the cases. They aren't cheap anymore. What you spend in setting up, you will more than save on not replacing brass. Depending on hard you are pushing the bullet down the tube, can add 5 to 10 more uses out of the case. Generally the primer pocket open up and the case is done. With case costing over a dollar each, and by annealing cut the cost down on new brass by at lease half and maybe more. So how much does it cost. Not much. So you are in for about $20.00 bucks, and the only thing is you will need a new tank of propane now and then. There is a lot of work that goes in the prep a case for loading. I really don't want to repeat the case prep any more than I have too. Annealing extend the life of the case.
SSS
MIke

The things I would add would be to get some flitz media polish (Amazon) and put that in your media for final cleaning after you resize. This helps give the inside of the neck a little "lube". This helps seating depth be more consistent.

no need to wipe the brass clean. Just libe, resize, put in media tumbler.

now I do prefer to de prime first. Then clean as most of my shots are done in competition and the brass ends up pretty dirty. So I don't like all that going into the die. If you've just been on the bench, won't be an issue.

If you do anneal, always do it BEFORE you resize. You run the risk of having everything be off if you do it after. Annealing is the get the neck and shoulder back to orig hardness. It helps with split necks/shoulders in the long run. And consistency in the shorter time by giving a more consistent neck tension.

Oh. And I wouldn't even try any of these home brew annealing methods.

I know there will be a lot of haters who say "I've been doing it that way for years" or some other crap.

the reality is when you anneal you are trying to get back to a consistent hardness.There is no way you are doing that by hand with a propane torch. Even the flame anneal setups are marginal. But more likely it will be a wait if time and effort, possibly making your brass worse than it was.

Oh. And I wouldn't even try any of these home brew annealing methods.

I know there will be a lot of haters who say "I've been doing it that way for years" or some other crap.

the reality is when you anneal you are trying to get back to a consistent hardness.There is no way you are doing that by hand with a propane torch. Even the flame anneal setups are marginal. But more likely it will be a wait if time and effort, possibly making your brass worse than it was.

There'll also be those who take pot-shots at the salt bath annealing system too, but I've been using it to anneal after every firing, and it's possible to be very consistent with this process. It costs a tad more than $20 that MM noted, but far less than other methods, and is repeatable, easy and safe. I recommend annealing, specifically salt bath annealing, for anyone who reloads ammunition and is concerned about accuracy.

That interesting I've been hand loading for 58 years now. I hand loaded with and without annealing my cases. First with a torch, now with salt bath. The torch sure did increase the amount of times that I was able to load a case. It appears to me he is short on funds for now, and we all been their. The cheapest way to get it done for now. Do as you want, just trying to help you out, and cut your cost some. Back in the day there wasn't anything else but a torch. Today with the internet the increase in company that are building equipment for us it's all on what you can afford. It just a matter of how deep your pockets are.