New brass prep

GetReel

do you guys FL size NEW brass or just fill and seat the bullet and start testing? I don't have a bushing die, I have the Redding Master Hunter die set (FL, neck and competition seater).

I do not, new brass is generally smaller than what a dies minimum spec is.
I do resize the neck prior to loading them though. I also chamfer inside and out on the case mouth after sizing the neck.
I have my own specific neck size I want for my cases.

I do much more as my case prep other than just sizing the necks.

Cheers.

Reel, some brass needs several steps in prep. Deburring flash hole, trimming length, chamfering, and at minimum neck sized. Exceptions are the pricier brass like Lapua, Nosler and Norma to name a few. I haven't used some of the other premiums since they don't make brass for my calibers.

I fully prep my new brass but usually do not FL size it, I do use a mandrel to make sure the neck tension is set to my spec. Other wise you are using the bullet to size the neck.

I don't and here is why. You can find a node with new brass but in most cartridges you can not find "the load". Typically once fired brass with be at higher velocity than new brass because new brass uses some of the energy to form the case. Typically you will need to back off anywhere from .2-.5 of more of a grain. On top of that most barrels speed up around 100-150 rounds and the load will typically need tweaked again. So why does all that matter? The uneven neck tension is not going to be the biggest part of your load being different than once fired. I have never had a problem finding a node with brass out of the box(I am assuming high quality brass) and adjusting and fine tuning the load with once fired. With cheap crappy brass with severely dinged up brass I will run it through an expander and size. I try to avoid this brass at all cost.

I usually deburr the flash holes, straighten the necks up, and load with bullets I don't normally shoot. I collet size the necks for two firings I'll get serious with load work up. If it's a rifle that I know how it reacts to new brass, I'll usually load my regular load and run it. It may not be as accurate as my fire formed brass, but it close enough. My 338 lapua is the rifle that comes to mind. I know how it's going to shoot and if I'm going to be over pressure or not.

do you guys FL size NEW brass or just fill and seat the bullet and start testing? I don't have a bushing die, I have the Redding Master Hunter die set (FL, neck and competition seater).

When I first started reloading back in the early 80s, I bought some Winchester brass for my then new 270 Win. I assumed it would have been prepped to be the same dimensions as they use on factory ammo, which worked fine in my rifle. So I didn't do any prep, and loaded up about 10 rounds. Got to the range, and they wouldn't chamber, but of course the factory ammo worked fine. So at home, I tried the unloaded cases, and they wouldn't chamber. So from then on, I FL resize and prep new brass. The exception being Nosler. The only new brass I have tried over the years are: that first batch of Winchester, then Hornady, and then Nosler. Of those, Nosler is prepped and can be loaded right out of the box for the fire forming step so it does not need to be resized or prepped for my rifles.

But I would recommend always checking the dimensions and try chambering any brass before assuming you can load it without further prep.

I do not body size cases until they have reached fully fire-formed dimensions (after ~3 firings, neck sized only). And I don't powder test until the brass has reached this stable capacity & chamber fit. During fire forming I do full seating testing and primer swapping, so that when I get to powder testing, I'm in a best condition for it.

I never FL size, and depending on the cartridge, I may not even body size.
Do yourself a favor,, never FL size necks. Pick up a body-bushing die (misnomer'd FL bushing die), and partial length size necks -no more than seated bullet bearing.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.