New brass prep?

jbo

New to loading and wondering what prep should be done before loading new brass.

Thanks

Depends upon what kind of brass. If it is Nosler or Norma brass then just load it and shoot. The primer holes are drilled so you don't have to deburr them and the necks are inside and outside chamferred.

If it is WW or Remington then you will probably have to run it through a neck sizer or full length sizer to get the dents out of the neck. Then you could deburr the flash holes and chamfer.

I don't know about Lapua, they never sell it in any caliber I reload for.

also depends on what rifle you're loading for. Doesn't make much sense to do full benchrest prep on a factory rifle. On the other hand if you're shooting a fully blueprinted rig you may want to do every little thing possible.

run it through a die, trim it if neccesary or do so anyway, inside/outside debur, flashhole debur, ready to load. This is with win and rem brass. Lapua never has any cals for anything I reload either.

I buy brass in large quantities and full length size, trim to uniform length, uniform primer pockets, deburr flash holes, and sort into groups by weight within 1 1/2%. Then I measure for variation in neck wall thickness with a ball tube micrometer and cull brass that is not reasonably uniform. If you don't have a ball tube micrometer, you can mic the diameter of the pressure ring for variances. If there is variance there, it will generally be consistent all the way up through the neck.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.