Brass Prep????

elkstalker300

Went to Cabelas & Sportsman Warehouse over the weekend and bought 100 Rem brass and 50 Nosler Custom brass. The Nosler says its ready to load, the question is about the Remington brass. Does it have to be sized or is it ready to load also??? brass is for 300rum /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Needs to be fl sized necks trimmed and deburred. I know it's bummer but that's the way it its. I bought some recently and they were 5.0700" long.

[ QUOTE ]
I bought some recently and they were 5.0700" long.

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
You'll need a long action for those!!

CAM

you can normally load them but they wont be the most consistant in the word with screwed necks. as long as you use a boat tail bullet it will normally seat and push the dents out of the necks.

I first run them over the expander plug, some are usually real sad lookin' doesn't take to long to do a bag of 50. Get that neck round again. Then use a VLD chamfer and deburr the flash hole.

I just got 100 300 RUM brass in rem also. Pretty excited as I don't even have the gun parts and all put together yet. One day.

But here's what I was going to do to the Rem, if I go with Nosler would I be wasting by time to do the same thing?
FL resize/with expander ball
trim/chamfer
debur flash hole
square primer pocket
turn necks-
sort by weight since shouldent they all be identical now as far as external dimensions?

new to turning necks, tell me if I'm wrong but I'm going to check necks with a ball micrometer, find the thinnest(?) spots average on all the brass, and turn the necks to that thickness. How far should I get into the shoulder to prevent a donut after firing?

Nosler brass sure does sound expensive, but would it be out of the box as consistent as the Rem brass after all that I listed above?

That Nosler brass sure is pretty but after I have FL resized, polished in the vib tumbler,and trimmed and deburred the necks the remington isnt bad lookin either. As for time thats one reason I took up reloading is to do something I like. Its also pretty neat to shoot those groups that a dime can cover all shots /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif So now I have 100 rnds (Rem) ready to load and 50 (Nosler) that I havent even touched and they are ready to load also. I got the Nosler to see if they last longer than the Rem. but with having 4 loads thru the rem and no bad signs yet, it maybe awhile before I get to the Noslers

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.