Brass prep

IMHO yes. It will consume time, and if done by hand will leave slight marks caused by brass removal on case necks. Because of this I use a neck turning tool that is powered by an 18 volt drill. This method will reduce any tooling marks (if done correctly)caused by the tools cutter and your case necks will look like they were never turned at all. I use a drop of Mobil 1 5 - 20 weight oil to act as a lubricant as brass by nature is very soft and gummy. It will gaul if not lubricated. Normally I can achieve a bullet run out of .0002" - .0005" as apposed to non turned brass which runs about .002" - .003" (as indicated by my neck turning concentricity gage) . I am a little anal here and after neck turning I wet tumble my brass in a steel pin media for about an hour to remove any tooling lines caused by neck turning ,which is purely a cosmetic thing) I know a lot of people turn necks by hand and are quite happy with this process however for me it is just too hard on my aging hands. In this light I will use power.
Is it worth the time and trouble I think so, but ultimately you must make that decision. In the long run I have seen my SD and ES numbers shrink simply by reducing bullet run out (Oh yeah I forgot to mention .0005" - .001" case neck tension which is very important) Thanks for your response !

Last edited:
You would feel very differently if you were loading for a RUM, 28 Nosler, or any belted magnum. The little cartridges are very forgiving to load for. But, you are still leaving performance on the table. Just makes less difference.
Which statement are you referring to? What I do with new brass or the difference between Hdy and Lapua? Or both?
I've run tests on flash hole deburring and just couldn't confirm a difference in accuracy or ES/SD.
Never turned a neck so don't know if that would have a measurable effect.
In7RM Hornady purchased brass is tighter in spreads than Federal Fusion reloaded after firing the original load.
Strangely, the Federal Fusion 150gr (paid 75cents/round) is very accurate in my rifle. < .5MOA at 400 in 3 - 10mph wind.
7RM in single digit SDs with Hornady purchased brass.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.