Brass inspection

Joefrazell

What'd this shiny spot on this piece of brass? I've never seen this before. Is this a pressure sign. This is out of a 6.5 cm. 143 eldx hornady brass 40.5gr. Of h-4350. I had very slight ejector marks but I didn't think the pressure should be very high here. I shot 41 and 41.5 gr and the ejector marks were gone as well as this shoulder mark. Also, yes all the 40.5 gr rnds had the shoulder mark. Some more then.the others. Thanks

Attachments

• 20180212_173007.jpg
    20180212_173007.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 203
No its not a new rifle probably 500 rnds down the tube. It doesn't always make marks either. Kinda strange

I'm almost wondering if you don't have dsomething embedded in your chamber, at the shoulder.
I had a rough cut chamber a few years ago, and it left a similar mark, on nearly every firing.
Just a thought.

Firstly, excessive pressure is NOT the issue, with sooted up necks and shoulders like yours, I would bet pressure is mild.
As mentioned, most likely the issue is with the chamber or feed ramp. Some feed ramps direct the shoulder straight into the chamber edge causing this kind of mark.

Cheers.
:)

Thanks guys! I really just wanted to be sure it wasn't a pressure sign.
I would get your chamber scoped, just to be on the safe side. I had a similar problem with a police rifle a few years ago. My Smith scoped it, could clearly see it in the chamber. He polished it nearly out, to the point it was hardly noticeable, and chambering, and extraction were much better as well. Good luck. Be safe.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.