Bore Inspection

Old Rooster

What do you use to inspect your bores?
Hawkeye or something else?
I use a Teslong NTS 150B video scope but I have used a Hawkeye and its way better.
How do you folks inspect your rifle bores?

Hawkeye is the best, but expensive. Getting a picture with a Hawkeye is very, very expensive, so I don't take pictures. :eek:

What do you use to inspect your bores?
Hawkeye or something else?
I use a Teslong NTS 150B video scope but I have used a Hawkeye and its way better.
How do you folks inspect your rifle bores?

I like and use both the Video scope and the bore scope because they do different things.

The Video scope is great for looking inside semi auto pistol and rifle actions and magazine areas that you don't have to focus Up very close. (They normally have a limit of about 1/2 " of focal length)

But for the barrel/chamber I prefer the bore scope with the 45o mirror to look straight at the barrel and chamber wall.

Just Me

J E CUSTOM

Dosh I have looked at the Lyman a neighbor had and it would turn off when it felt like it.
Midwayusa took it back and sent a new one that worked way better than the first and I did not look at the second model.Is it clear enough to see carbon?My Teslong can't show carbon.
J E Custom at 8.5 mm are there any barrel size limitations?Like a 22 cal barrel?
Thanks for all the replies.
Old Rooster

Rooster, the Lyman fits 20 cal and up. When oriented in the right position all fouling can be seen. The mirror position is important to reduce glare from the illumination. Very easy to take pics with supplied card and reader. I've looked at bores with a Hawkeye and it is a clearer view and much more expensive.

I don't and I actively discourage laymen from doing so. Most people lack the expertise to interpret what they're even looking at and it almost always ends up just stressing people out more than they need. Those with very specific information needs frequently obtain the knowledge to glean said information from a bore scope image in the process of getting to the level that said specific information becomes needed. I have a $25 ebay bore scope and it is entirely sufficient for my needs which are to look for signs of obvious serious damage. My level of expertise in interpreting what I see inside a barrel also means that that's the most money I really need to spend. Quality costs money and angled views are terribly helpful.

Dosh I have looked at the Lyman a neighbor had and it would turn off when it felt like it.
Midwayusa took it back and sent a new one that worked way better than the first and I did not look at the second model.Is it clear enough to see carbon?My Teslong can't show carbon.
J E Custom at 8.5 mm are there any barrel size limitations?Like a 22 cal barrel?
Thanks for all the replies.
Old Rooster

Yes The angled mirror helps to see any foreign material in the chamber or bore. They also make one small enough to inspect a .177 cal that Is less that 5 mm. I bought the Video bore in a 5 mm size for this reason. (My bore scope will do 25 cal and up). If I take the mirror tube off it will go in a .22 cal but only inspect straight in front of the scope.

When I bought mine it was the only one I could afford.

J E CUSTOM

I use the new Teslong bore scope,
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TTQF24F/?tag=lrhmag19-20

There has been a lengthy thread over on the Hide.
https://forum.snipershide.com/threa...quality-reasonably-priced-bore-scope.6953362/

So far for $50 I am happy with it. Seen things I've never seen before. Here are a few screen grabs of my barrel. this is new to me so I dont know exactly what everything is. I have not looked through any other bore scope so I cant compare to anything else. I think I need to clean the barrel though...

Carbon ring with some throat erosion / fire cracking maybe?...
IMG_4214.JPG

Copper fouling
IMG_4218.JPG

jd126 I just ordered one.Thanks
My older Teslong has a side angle lens but I can't focus it well enough to see everything.
Ballisticguy I know what you mean.When I first looked through my 300 weatherby mag on a Vanguard when I first got the Teslong I didn't know just what to look for at first.
After a while I could see what I needed to clean better and could see the extreme rough spots.The Tubbs Final Finish smoothed it right out and I can see the difference but it's not as clear as the new Teslong I just ordered for 49.99.
I hope it works for me as good as the pictures I saw.
Thanks guys.
Old Rooster

Most people lack the expertise to interpret what they're even looking at and it almost always ends up just stressing people out more than they need

This is like a colonoscopy for rifles, I guess. My advice to everyone is stop stressing out about what might be in your bore and just get it checked. I did it and it was no big deal.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.