Brass Drying Rack

I anneal after washing mine, helps to dry them. Note also that I took them in towel and tap them upside down first on the towel. Sometimes blow them off with air compressor.
I would prefer to anneal after SS pin tumbling but I can't seem to figure out how to make that work without having to clean twice.

My process is as follows:
  1. Decapping in decapping only die.
  2. Anneal
  3. Lube, resize, mandrel expand, trim (if needed) chamfer and debur.
  4. Wet tumble/dry
  5. Load
The stainless wet tumbling removes the discoloring done by annealing and I catch myself second guessing if I did anneal, especially if it's a few days before I get around to loading them again.

I would prefer to anneal after SS pin tumbling but I can't seem to figure out how to make that work without having to clean twice.

My process is as follows:
  1. Decapping in decapping only die.
  2. Anneal
  3. Lube, resize, mandrel expand, trim (if needed) chamfer and debur.
  4. Wet tumble/dry
  5. Load
The stainless wet tumbling removes the discoloring done by annealing and I catch myself second guessing if I did anneal, especially if it's a few days before I get around to loading them again.
Mark them with sharpie

Maybe I'm lazy, but I just dump them out on a towel and come back the next day and they are dry.

The longer story is I wet tumble, seperate the pins with my rotary seperator, then put 4 or so paper towels into the cage with the brass (after all the pins are gone) and spin that a few times. That dries the outside of the cases well enough that I didn't get water spots.

Then I pour the cases out onto a towel and the next day they are dry and ready to go.

I live out west where it's pretty dry so maybe that's why I don't have to bother with additional drying steps/cost.

I use a food dehydrator now, but I have just laid them on a towel or put them in a pillowcase in the clothes dryer on low heat

Kinda neat !!!! I drop mine upside down into 50 case ammo crate on put on top of fan blowing vertically up.

Using compressed air (water-oil separator) to get rid of rinse water then in a large cookie sheet on a towel in our blazing Az sun. Usually wait a couple days for them to cool down enough to handle!!

Good ideas here. I was going to hang them on the clothesline, but couldn't figure how to clip the clothes pin on them.
Now that...I can believe...if I can offer a little advice here...attach the pin over the line first and on the base of the shell second! Otherwise if it rains....they will all refill with water!

I put it in a Pyrex casserole dish in the oven…turn to 200, turn off, put brass in. Do once more if needed, or put outside in the sun if it is summer. The drying racks sound like a lot of work that isn't really needed, but I know everyone has their own method and I'm not saying mine is better.
I agree. The hot summer sun makes a great dryer. I put washed brass on an old bath towel and expose to bright sun for a few hours. I can do a few hundred at a time. I try to do enough that I have plenty for winter projects.

In Wallyworld with wife looking for craft projects for granddaughters and stumbled across this thread spool rack organizer that takes up very little room and made of wood so cannot cause any issues with metal. Looks like a perfect drying rack for brass after liquid cleaning processes. It will hold 60 pieces of brass in vertical so allow really great drying. Of course the one I picked up was missing a peg!🤣

$9.99! But they ALL sorts of ones on line so you can grab exactly what you need!
LINK: Walmart Thread Spool Racks

My re-purpose for the day!

View attachment 303325
I just spread them out on an old cookie sheet and dry in the oven.

Have yet to try wet tumbling, so reading this out of interest & for future reference.

Curious if those who are wet tumbling are using tap water or distilled water. In these parts if I used tap water I'd have a calcium build-up after the first drying.

Even after going thru an air/oil separator and dryer I'd be concerned with what was still in my compressed air. Maybe if I had one of those horrifically expensive units designed to make the air breathable I wouldn't be concerned, but I do not.