Brass Dry Time

Below a cheap bastards convection oven, the brass dries very fast.

A hair drier and a five gallon bucket.

hairdryer_zps427528d6.jpg

yep

I use an ultrasonic and since I have a gas oven I just put the brass in the oven with the pilot light for heat and it dries overnight. Seems to tarnish the brass badly though.

One day I wanted a quicker way so I took a large Tupperware bowl with lid and drilled a bunch of holes in the lid. Took a colander and set it down inside the bowl. drilled a hole in the side of the Tupperware bowl that would fit the snout of a cheap hair dryer tightly and stuck the dryer into it. Dumped about a 100 cases into the colander and turned it on. that rig works fast. Surprised me. Had to turn the hair dryer on low because I felt like it was getting too hot. 30 min. and its done! Cheap too! well under $20.

I put all my brass as it comes out the stainless media tumbler straight into a vibrator with corn cob media. This dries them in an hour or so but also does not leave any watermarks on the cases as well as polishing them up just a bit as well.

After they come out of the wet tumbler I rinse them in fresh water then a quick tumble in a towel followed by a trip in the salad spinner. I take the spinner basket to my air compressor and hit them with a couple of blasts of air mainly to blow the water out of the basket. I have three dish drying mats I got at a dollar store that I lay the brass on and I have a heat lamp suspended about eighteen inches above them. I usually move the lamp every ten minutes or so to the different mats and they dry perfectly. It works better if you have a little air flow either by a fan or a breeze.

After I do a sonic clean or after sizing brass I dump it all in a large bowl and pour rubbing alcohol in it. Just enough to cover the brass, agitate for a minute by hand, pour the alcohol back into the original container and set in front of a small heater if it's winter or in the sun if it's summer. I will usually let them set for at least one hour to dry.

A lot of people don't realize it but alcohol is "hygroscopic". Simply put, it will absorb water. It will absorb enough to leave very little in a case. Salt is hygroscopic also.
I don't use this method myself, simply because I never clean more than 40 bottle-neck cases at a time. I give all my brass a citric acid bath for 30 minutes before doing anything else. With pistol brass I put in the oven at 180°F & walk away for 30-40 minutes. Water boils at 212°F and that temperature will never harm brass.
BTW, citric acid will not harm brass, it's considered "passive" to brass. I've used it for over 30 years and never once has it caused any harm. You can buy citric acid powder from Amazon.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.