Does Brass Dry Out???

I've never annealed brass before...so I guess I'm fixing to do something new...

Thanks for all the comments and tips...I was very surprised at this kind of brass failure. But like said...learn something new!

i have brass for a 22-250 that is over 40 years old no problems but i have a lot so most of it has never been shot over 4 times and they are not hot loads.it is all W.W.brass which at the time was the best.

Last edited:
i have brass for a 22-250 that is over 40 years old no problems but i have a lot so most of it has never been shot over 4 times and they are not hot loads.it is all W.W.brass which at the time was the best.

My guess is you have your brass stored better. I believe this brass was left out in the open for a long period of time. One piece had a area that was nearly eaten through by oxidation.

Thanks 2MO for the utube!

I have 50 pieces of new Hornady brass waiting to be used once the barrel is fully broken in.

I was looking for hunting/breakin brass.

For now I am not looking to use this rifle for hunting over 300yds. My deer lease is fairly flat and thick...not sure if I will be able to even get a 200 yard shot.

Brass coming in contact with chemicals like vinegar, ammonia, ethanol from cleaning and/or residue from firing, may damage brass. Annealing will not help this. Ammonia forms in nature for rotting vegetation. Old range brass may be damaged and dangerous. Stress corrosion cracking.

Another cause is over working the brass when the FL die sized the neck down way more than needed. Brass becomes brittle.

A poor annealing at the factory may also be the cause.

After many years of having the same problem, 5.56/223, i think i found the fix. Use bushing dies and new brass. Dont put/keep brass/ammo in long term storage.
223 brass.JPG
223LC86Brittle_002.JPG
The first photo is factory fired brass, reloaded and stored.

The 2nd photo is brass washed in a old NRA vinegar solution. It turned brownish over time. Annealing was no help.

Last edited:
I agree, if the brass has been corroded by out-gassing or other chemical damage annealing wont fix it, only work hardening

Maybe the best term is corrosion cracking which is causes by de-zinicification?

Here is a write up on it

http://www.nace.org/Corrosion-Central/Corrosion-101/Dezincification/

Takes a alkaline or acidic bath which could easily be cause by gun powder residue or break down with loaded rounds as well. It use to be seen sooner before manf properly annealed the necks. In general my guess would be say 10 yrs you can count on it being good in most any conditions after that at varying degrees you are getting hardening via the conversion and loss of zinc in the alloy.

This also speaks of it directly in its effects on ammuntion and not just brass alloy in general.
ASTM International publication STPA64 "Protective Resin Films In Cartridge Brass" based on studies at Frankford Arsenal.

So want to give it a term I would say corrosion aging or cracking but corrosion something....... seems like the best name as age is not the given but actual environmental and powder breakdown.

I bet if a cases that were thoroughly cleaned sized and annealed and put in air tight vaccum sealed bags and kept would not have these issues over long periods of time.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.